1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Addicted to precision bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I just realized last night how much I truly enjoy the sound of a p-bass,I probably should of got one instead of the Ibanez I bought.Anyways the one that I built sounds just fine and is soon to be upgraded.Is there anyone else out there who always finds themselves returning to the good ol' p-bass even when they have a full arsenal of other basses at their disposal?

2. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I must admit, My P bass is my favourite bass, and I have several more planned... Great basses!

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    IMG_3220.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Who was the sage who uttered the immortal words, "My P is warm?"

Yes, I love my 3 P-basses, and play them and gig them. However, I have discovered the joys of an active P/J. It has warmth to burn, as it is Alder with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. Yet, I have to admit, I am haunted not only by the sound, by also the feel of the P-bass. I love my '51 RI, my '71 and my '55 dearly, but I still dream of the 63/64 I played once long ago, with a C neck, nitro finish, thick rosewood fingerboard, tons of dings, and tone to die for. I am thinkin' CS, but I am too poor...:bawl:

5. I believe that was EricF, or something along those lines...

But yes, My P bass is the one I ALWAYS pick up to play first.

6. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Just last night I was reminded once again of why you must own a P.

Had a recording session to cut a new demo. I always come way over-equipped for recording, because even if I don't end up using all the cables, connectors, and sundry crap in my gig case, SOMEONE does.

(Note to guitarists everywhere: Yes, you should bring your OWN cable, tuner, strap, guitar stand, headphones, picks, beer, snacks, and shoes to a session as they may not be provided for you) :meh:

Dragged 3 basses into the studio - A Lakland passive 5, Stingray active 4, and ye olde Precision. Guess which one was spot-on perfect in the mix from the moment we plugged it in...

I don't know if the P is sonic perfection because Leo was just a genius, or because we've all heard it so many times our brains are now wired to say THAT'S THE TONE!

Does it matter? It just works. ;)

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I know that guy ;)

I have fallen more and more in love with the sound of a good P. I recently built my own P/J, but every time I play it, I'm finding that I end up with the J pup turned all the way down. The P/J pup combo certainly is versitile for a range of sounds, I just like the P-only sound best. I'm probably going to re-build it as a pure P.

My '68 Fender P has the most amazing tight punch I've ever heard in a P. It's just lovely.

8. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    I have to agree, I love my Precision and would like to have another one!:D

9. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I am torn between the jazz and P-bass, and have been for a few years.
    I just cant decide, sometimes i like the j-bass because of it's
    typical j-sound and that it has more of a "finger print".
    While the P-bass files out nicer in the band.

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yes indeed. I am primarily a Jazz Bass guy, but definitely love a Precision. My only Precision right now has a Darkstar pickup in it which I adore. When finances allow I will pick up a stock PBass fo sho.:cool:

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have have 5 Ps so far, my first bass ( 1987 ) was a P , my current bass is a PJ , I also have owned couple of jazz and a sting ray, I just ordered a jazz but I am a believer that every bass player should have a P in his/her arsenal all the time.

12. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i used to be biased towards p's just cause i was a j guy, it was actually funny, i went to guitar center to buy a j i had played earlier that day and just pretty much fell in love with. so i go get the money and return to the store. i go back to get the j and see a p with the identical color scheme (natural with tourtise shell p-guard and rosewood neck) and said hey what thel hell and played it. after five minutes i bought it. i have been lookin for those deep mids since ive been playin bass. i love p basses now and j's too haha.

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Addicted to P bass... is that a bad thing?

14. Right on. :bassist:
    I blend in the bridge pup on my PJ from time to time because it feels like a waste to not use it. It certainly has a lot of different tones, but I don't need any of them.

My next bass will probably be a pure P, too. I'd rather not have something installed that I don't need; it'll just be a burden to have a useless appendage sticking out of there.

15. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I own a Epiphone Powerbass (basically a deluxe P-bass lawsuit), a MIA P-bass and a Ric. I find myself every few months finding my way back to my P bass. Sometimes it's like the tone and band sound just sucks me back to it no matter what I do, even if the Ric maybe more comfortable for me.

Hopefully, this isn't too sacrilegious for a Ric player to say this. :)

16. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    My first bass was a Squier P-bass. Maybe I like the P-bass so much because it was my first bass.

I recently finished fixing up my old Squier P-bass. I modded it to hell and back, even added a Jazz pickup in the bridge position. Even with the Jazz pickup I still find myself using the P-bass solo'ed about 90% of the time. I love it, it has so much bottom end to it, I like when I really dig in and I get this clanky kind of tone.

I liked the sound so much that I'm getting a custom 6 string P-bass made right now.

17. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Just bought my first P last year... why did it take me so long? Bought a Jazz in '79's probably why.

Gassing for more Ps now.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is some P-bass goodness I found on Youtube today. I have really been digging some Raphael Saadiq since I got his new CD last week.:)

19. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Hi Jim :)!

I've never played a genuine '60s P Bass (unlike you), so I can't speak with total authority on the subject, but I must say that my CS '61 P Bass has ended my search for the perfect P :).

IMG_1302.

It even has the thick Brazilian rosewood board ...

IMG_1294.

... and the dings, that you mentioned ;).

IMG_1159.

I bought it used, so it really only cost a fraction more than a brand new US Vintage Reissue would cost (well, over here in Europe at least :meh:). You could always keep an eye out for a used CS '59 reissue. They're not too rare and would still have "that tone". Just a thought. That said, the US Vintage Reissues pretty much nail the vintage vibe as well, IMO.

It's lucky that Fender are prepared to keep us supplied with these (largely) faithful reproductions of such an "old product". Where else do you see this kind of devotion to the past in the market place? Are they still making Fender Rhodes pianos, do Ford still offer the Model T :p ? Even Harley Davidson have modified their range to modern day standards, despite all the enthusiasm for their earlier models.

OK, slightly ridiculous examples there, but you get the idea ;). It would be very easy for Fender to just force us to buy the newset models (which are, apparently, very good this year) - props to their management for continuing to give us the choice!

:) Long live the P Bass!

20. I don't find myself returning to my P bass...'cause I never left...