Addicted to tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Sweetnighter, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Sweetnighter

Sep 4, 2004
    I've been playing bass for just under a year... and all i've used to play is tabs, but i really want to get into reading staff music. I've played trombone for seven years, so I can easily read bass clef, but all the music I have has staff and tabs, and I can't get my eyes off the tabs! How do I get into reading the staff? Can I get bass books that don't have the tabs?
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Worst comes to worst, check out powertabs - they've got the staff and tab right above each other
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    They sell this white correction tape at office supply stores in different widths. Some of it is wide enough to place over the TAB so you only see the notation staff. Or you could cut strips of paper and make a photocopy of the page while the strips of paper cover the TABs so the photocopy does not show the TAB.
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Take some Index cards and make yourself up some Flash cards
    that way you can keep using them while your away from your Bass. :)
  5. Take the books and black out the tab with some tape or something so you cant look at it.
  6. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    lol thats exactly how I started, cept I used ductape, that way if i was tempted to rip it off to look at the tabs, the tabs would just rip and be useless anyway. But definatly try and read notation, its good stuff.
  7. Well, the first step is to admit that you are powerless over tabs and your life has become unmanageable....... :smug:

Then do what the others have suggested. Your potential will really increase when you can read the lead sheet and work out your own lines without having to copy someone else's stuff.
  8. Sometimes books from a single band like Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath only have the score. I do like both though, one to quickly learn where the notes are on the fretboard and the other to see on what beat that note is played. You can be jammin' in minutes! :bassist: