1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Addiction

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Would you think that Addiction has more of its origins in Genetic predisposition or the Psychology of the afflicted ?

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    It depends on the substance or behavior the person is addicted to, but my belief is that it requires both a genetic predisposition and a developed psychological dependance.

Most people I know in recovery of some sort found themselves capable of extremes in substance abuse that their peers weren't capable of, which I think is the genetic predisposition, and then started to believe that said substance was the solution to some, if not all, their problems, which is the psychological component. The psychological part is the harder to beat, in my experience.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    It depends, if it's a physical addiction like alcohol I'd have to say it's more genetic, but if it were something like candy that would by psychological. But even the way your mind works is partially based upon genetics.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1 on both it depends. Some like alcohol can be both. Heroin no matter how you started is physical. Pot is all in your head.

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've heard it said that addictive personalities are also extremly reactive psychological personalities.
    You could still have a genetic predisposition, but your environment/ upbringing/ experiences will come into play a lot in determing addiction.
    At the same time though a physical addition very much so will affect you psychologically.

6. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    well i see it like this. i think its genetic, and i'm not saying that as an excuse. i was watching this programm about monkeys and their behaviour. this group of monkeys lived on an island somewhere with nice beaches and sun so they would eventually run into some tourist. what do tourists do? they drink loads of alcohol, which is a drug that you can get addicted to just like you get addicted to heroin or cigarettes (my only addiction). so anyways back to the monkeys, what do they do? they steal the drinks of the touists. now the interesting part, the percenteage of monkeys that developped an addiction for alcohol is exactly the same as with humans, so is the percentage of monkeys that drink until they vomit, same goes for the occasional drinker, and the ones who never drink, all percentages exactly the same as humans. funny isn't it? does that mean we are just as stupid as those monkeys? don't think so, i'd rather say addiction is triggerd by your dna, of which 99% is identical to the dna of most monkeys, hence the corrolation between human behaviour and monkey behaviour.

just my 2cents

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    addicting.