Addictive basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrazyTwoKnobs, May 28, 2003.

1. Yep.

12 vote(s)
  2. What are you talking about, no!

8 vote(s)
  3. Carrot?

8 vote(s)
  1. I've been playing my Ibanez EDA900 for a couple of months now, and when i went to guitar center to pick up some strings, I decided to try out some basses. I couldn't play any of them worth crap. They all felt HUGE. So I picked up another EDA and suddenly started playing fine. When I got home I tried my squier and mim jazz, and only the squier felt weird. I know the EDA is a small bass, but I didn't think it would affect my ability to play other basses... Anybody else have this problem? Anybody else only able to play a certain bass? Any ideas on how to fix this? I love the EDA, it's my main bass, and its sound greatly surpasses both my others, so I'm not going to just stop playing it.

Thanks a bunch guys.
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I dunno if I am....My bass always feels good, but some basses feel better, and some feel worse.

I don't know if it is a problem seem to like the small necks. Js and Ibani have small necks, so if all other basses feel weird, maybe you just should accept the fact that smaller necks feel better to you. If one comes along that feels weird, but sounds really good, you'd just have to get used to it, or move on.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    With all the variables that are out there for a bass guitar, it's almost a given that something other than your personal instrument will feel foreign.

I've resigned to the fact that something that at least looks and feels like a Fender jazz is what I'm most comfortable with. I can probably make some music with an exotic fretless nine string, but the jazz is home for this guy. I'm lucky that enough options - for me, four or five string - are available in the jazz design platform.

This is nothing to be particularly worried about or ashamed of - I'm mostly concerned with playing well on the basses I own, not the stuff hanging up in stores.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm totally addicted to my new Jerzy Drozd VI. I can't put it down, even when I'm supposed to be getting ready for work.:D

Anyway, I don't know if this'll wear off after a while, seeing as though I've only had it for 6 days, but it didn't wear off on my Spector for the entire time it was my main bass. I love that bass, but now I don't even look at it...I've got my (as Adrian put it) Spanish Lover!;)
  5. I feel pretty much the same, CrazyTwo. I got my EDA905F less than a month ago, and while I'm not going to say it sounds better than my Stingray or Jack Casady (it does have an excellent, very different tone) it is by far the MOST COMFORTABLE BASS I've ever played.

If for no other reason than this, I urge everyone that has the chance to try one. The sound may or may not be your cup of tea, but, sitting or standing, this bass defines comfort. It's pretty light too. Some of you may know of other basses that just mold to your body, but, this odd looking design by Ibanez will be hard to beat. You can't really tell until you sit down with one.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm stuck with my Music Man Stingray 5.
  7. [​IMG]

edit: see if it works this time...
  8. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    After finally getting used to the chunky neck of my Ibanez BTB405QM, I just can't play basses with thin necks. I tried to play a couple of Fender jazz basses, and I was so sluggish. I agree with Michael Jewels, though, the EDA's are very nice and comfortable basses. Before, I was uncomfortable with thicker necked basses, but now it's the other way around. Probably not a good thing...
  9. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Oh, so that's a carrot............:eek:
  10. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Carrot. Actually, I don't find it possible to be addicted to any one bass, I'm addicted to bass is general. I love all basses.
  11. Funny during all the time it tooks me to adjust to the BTB-400QM neck I felt most other basses were easier to play.

Now that I have adjusted I feel at home on ALL the 4 strings I tries nowaday from the Jazz to the Warwick "baseball bat" :bag:

I wouldn't say so unless you are a J maniac :D
  12. Nope. I have 7. Play em all. Some get more "me" time.

I can play just about any bass that's 4-7 strings, and decently setup. By play, I mean get around on it functionally. The multistringed basses might take a couple minutes to get used to the string spacing/placing, but no big deal.

But the setup is the big deal. Strings that aren't an inch off the board, intonated correctly...etc.

I kinda have some wide tastes lol. Mostly cheap though:ninja: :ninja:
  13. yeah...

all the basses in G.C feel weird to me,it's either my right hand,but mostly my left....I just can't get that nice feel that I get on my GSR...but,Its my first bass,so I guess it kinda "fitted" my hands and stuff...

14. Tony Cimperman did an evil thing to me a couple years ago... He sold me a Modulus. Now I feel like I need graphite necks. But I am on the detox program. My third Modulus is a Genisis :p
  15. I've decided that the bass is more like a toy than an actual bass. it does all the things a normal bass does, but it's really small and shiny. And the headstock is sooooo evilishly awesome. I agree with you Michael Jewels, it is one of the most comfortable basses, it's like... other basses fight with you and only after a little wrestling do they give you good playing feel/tone/etc. The EDA is so comfy and easy, the tone just happens. I also encourage anybody who can try one to go do so now.
  16. geez, I really love playing my 67 fender MIA jazz it covers all sounds for me:)
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hmmm. I suppose I am "addicted" to fretted five-strings with so-called wide string spacing because that's all I play. But within that universe I have a variety of basses: traditional and modern, passive and active, ash and alder, maple and wenge and composite...
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    ROTFL !!!

Thanks, that's a GREAT moment in the TB forums.

:D :D :D
  19. Thats funny, cuz my Modulus has the least comfortable neck of all of my basses...but I still love the way it sounds.

Otherwise, my main basses are my MIM P-Bass modified (albeit that it has an @$$-ugly paint job, its unbelieveably comfortable and sounds excellent.) and my SX Jazz Fretless (which has a wider than normal Jazz neck!!!). Idk, after playing Ibanez and then switching to Fender, I just love the baseball bat necks.
  20. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Many basses......... I like to try new things, like carrots......