Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Addin Inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saorex, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hello. I'd like to know if adding inlays to a neck is something possible. Let's say for $800 USD or more bass.

You see, I bought a great bass, but there are not inlays between the frets. So I was woundering if adding some is something possible.

Thanks!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Possible? yes

Costly? yes

If the neck is bolt-on it probably be easier to buy a new neck.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If the bass in question is the Esp in your profile I would think that the inlay work could possibly equal the amount you paid for the bass.

4. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hehe! ok. I was just woundering anyway... Because some inlays look VERY great and would have been cool to add some at a time or another. I guess I'll wait until I buy another bass.

I would never put them by myself, I would ask a luthier (is that the word in English)... Anyway. Thanks!

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    It is extremely diffucult to install inlay on a fretted neck. Fretless would be a lot easier...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. I agree with Munjibunga. John has done some great work. He quoted me a nice price on a custom inlay I wanted, which reminds me that I should take him up on that. Also that price should cover an inlay on a fretted neck, unless the idea for the inlay is very complex/large/etc.

Don’t people just take the frets out, do the inlay, and then just refret the neck? I think that’s what John does. So that’s also something to think about.

8. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks! I'm happy to hear that!

And this guy does an amazing job, really! I might ask him someday... hehe!