1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding 12" speakers to an unloaded 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 15, 2009.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've got a Legion Sound 2x12 sitting around that I picked up in trade a while back. I was using it with great success despite the fact that it was loaded with some no-name PA speakers.... That is.... Until one of the drivers blew during a gig :p

One of the drivers is just fine and I imagine the blown one is repairable. That said, I'd rather have some appropriate speakers in the cab.

My primary gigging cabinet is a Schroeder 410R, and I have no intention of gigging with anything else. The Legion Sound 2x12 will be for bedroom practicing and the occasional low volume jam at my house. I haven't determined the actual internal volume, port sizes, etc. and frankly am not that worried about getting incredible frequency response or volume. Just something that would be useable for practicing that has a 4 ohm load.

My original intent was to just grab some Eminence 2512 II's from Avatar. Is there an alternative I should consider keeping in mind the bedroom practice cab aspect of this project? Lowering cost is always favorable. Also of note is that this cab is currently setup for one tweeter and has no crossover. I'll be replacing the back panel with one that will accept speakon inputs. If it would make sense to add a crossover and an L-Pad I can definitely do that as well. This whole speaker cabinet reconstruction thing is quite a mystery to me.

Thanks!
    :bassist:

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I wouldn't bother with premium drivers like the 2510. Since the cab would be a crapshoot anyway, why not try some cheaper bass drivers?

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Any examples you'd like to toss out? I've never gotten into the world of replacing drivers so I'm quite in the dark on this one.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you might try getting some Eminence Beta12A-2's for it. they sound really good in one of my 2x12 cabs.

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Any more 12" speaker suggestions for this thing?

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    An inexpensive solution might be a pair of Jensen Mod 12-70 speakers. They are available in 4 ohms. If you are not planning on pushing more than a couple hundred watts through them, these may be the way to go.

7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Currently my only amp is an Aguilar DB750, but given that I'm using this in a bedroom context I can't imagine the output would jump into the "couple hundred watts" territory.

I'm planning on buying a GK 800RB in the near future as well that will likely live at my house or in studio settings and definitely be the amp to power this cab. Its a head I've always loved, but never owned.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. Keep 'em coming if ya got's 'em :p

8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Eminence BASSLITE S2012 might be a good lower cost option.

9. Rick Auricchio

Their 1.6mm Xmax means they're guitar speakers. Bass will fart 'em to death.

The whole issue here is plopping some speakers into an unknown box. Find the cheapest bass speakers and try them. The results will be a crapshoot no matter what speakers you drop in, because the cab is not designed for them. Why pay more?

The original speaker(s) blew because that cab is not designed for bass. You'll probably blow new ones too.

Dump the cab and spend your money on something used that will work. Hell, all you have is some wood.

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    How dare you! There's carpeting, metal grill and plastic corners, handles and port tubing. All you have is some wood.... pfffft..... :p

I'm not looking at this project quite as pedantically as you are, but your point is taken. All the same, there is less of a crapshoot element in the fact that speakers that are adequately suited for bass guitar applications will work better than just randomly buying speakers because the cost is low. I'm not looking to throw a ton of money at this thing, but adding a few bucks to get better suited speakers isn't a big deal for me either.

I highly doubt this. This is going to be a bedroom cab. There won't be enough power going into it to blow the drivers, unless they're complete garbage, in which case, see my comments above.

The old ones blew because I was I had sold my SWR 8x10T, hadn't picked up my Schroeder 410R yet and had a gig come up with no other cabinet option. At the gig, the cab was clearly having a bad time, but with the Schroeder being picked up the following day I didn't really care and just kept my fingers crossed (its hard to play bass like that by the way) that the cab would hold through the gig. It did not. It wasn't the fault of the cab design or the speakers. It was simply that I was pushing the cab too hard, I knew it and at the time I didn't really care.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Since you seem not to be going for SPL you could consider plugging one hole in the baffle, and if needed retuning the cab for say just one Em 2512.

12. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Massive SPL is definitely not a factor for this.

You're suggesting plugging one of the 12" driver holes and treating the cab like a 1x12 to get the most internal volume per driver and increase frequency response at the cost of SPL's... Hmmmm... Hadn't considered that. I do like the idea though...

Why is it that guys living in cabins in Montana always come up with the "outside the box" ideas? :p

13. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California

14. Rick Auricchio

Silky, I like the idea of trying the 1x12 mod. You can always remove the "plug plate" and drop in another 12. Saves money up front, and, if it does the job, what the heck.

I stand corrected about the "gonna blow it again" thing; you know why it blew and knew it was happening. Lots of folks on TB don't pay any attention.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Sure. No sense in turning away possible sales in the cheaper bracket, given what is in many existing bass cabs anyway... the lower xmax might even be desired in some lower-powered tube rigs where the intended vibe is to hear some speaker distress. Myself, I'd rather go for cleaner sounding speakers with better long-term survival potential when used in other circumstances, and add dirt by other means.

Also, you are spreading the liability among 4 drivers, aren't you? That makes a difference too.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think those cabs have room on the baffle for a mid driver :)

17. Don't forget to check out Carvin. They provide guitar and bass speakers and are very reasonable.
    I use their 15's.

18. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I like that idea too.

First-off, I re-read my reply to your comment and it came off a bit snarky. Hopefuly you didn't take it as such.

Secondly, that night was just a bad idea all around. We got called to open for a fairly large band with lots of important people in the crowd so we jumped at the opportunity even though one of our singers and one our gui****s were out of town and we had to do a condensed thrown together set with a bass cab that couldn't handle the job. The cab went down and I ended up stopping and DI'ing to the PA mid-song. Definitely nobody's fault but my own. I should have just DI'd from the start, but then this thread wouldn't exist :p

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I did this with a Carvin 210 wedge that no longer saw gigging use after I got a Carvin LS1503 of about the same size, and it really worked out well. With an old plate amp it even stood in admirably for a home theater sub that needed repair at the time.

20. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    How did you go about sealing the existing hole?

My initial thought was to cut a piece of plywood (the same thickness as the plywood used on the cab) to fill the hole, then attach it using an expanding glue to make sure it was air tight.

Am I overthinking it? Underthinking? Thinking just enough but still coming up wrong? :p