Adding a 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 10, 2001.

1. jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm confused!

Right now I am running a Fender bxr200 head rated at 200W 4ohm minimum Total, with two parallel outputs into a Fender bxr115B cab rated at 150W 300W peak and 8ohms.

First of all, I have been told numerous times that the amp should be able to push more than the cab can handle. Since the cab is 8 ohms, does that mean that the amp is really only pushing 100W into it, and therefore not powerful enough? I tend to clip, but I have an active bass and the amp only has 1 gain and no master volume, does it clip because of the cab rating or because I have an active bass?

Finally, if i'm adding a 2X10, am I correct that it should be rated at 8ohms to match the 4ohm output? and what would be the ideal wattage rating for it? how do you figure out the total wattage the speakers are handling when running into two in this way??

Sorry this is so long!
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    That cabinet (150 watts RMS continuous rating, if your numbers are correct) should be fine with that head. It is unlikely that the bxr head will push more than 150 watts RMS into an 8-ohm cabinet. Even if it were pushing the full 200 watts, it is unlikely to damage the cabinet unless you were clipping regularly and/or playing full volume with the bass boosted excessively.
    If it sounds clean with the amp volume way down, then the bass is probably not overdriving the input. That's the first thing to check. If it is, then you have to reduce the output of your bass a bit so it's not overdriving the input. Once that's set, when you play your amp at normal (high) volume and you find it is distorting, you are clipping the output stages. Clipping could damage that speaker if done excessively. You either need to turn it down, turn down the bass EQ, get a bigger amp, or get more or better (more efficient) speakers.
    I would recommend an 8-ohm 2x10, if you intend to stay with the 8-ohm 1x15. If you run them off the bxr head, the combined (parallel) load will be 4 ohms, which the head is designed to handle. This will enable the amp to deliver its full 200 watts: 100 to each cabinet. This set-up should be considerably louder than your 1x15 alone. The 2x10 should be rated for at least 100 watts RMS. If you find one with greater handling, that is not a problem. You might wind up upgrading your amp head, and it would be good to have the cabinets able to handle the extra wattage.

If you are still curious about wattage, ohms/impedance, clipping, etc., I highly recommend using the search facility here. There are tons of excellent discussions on these topics.
    - Mike
  3. jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks MikeyD.

Your response was extremely helpful. I get the clipping only when the volume is louder, but I have never had the volume past 4. I usually play at about 3.5. It doesn't clip often. unless I play slap or pluck hard. The reason I was wondering if it could be the active bass is that it only happens when I play slap, or something else, that is causing the strings to "snap"

Does anyone have any recommendations on 2X10's. I would like to use it to get more punch, and better highs. Should I look for one with a horn? Or is that an unneeded extra. Right now i'm looking at a Hartke...I know there has been a lot of hartke discussion lately, but I do like that punchy sound, i'm not really looking for something "warm"