1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a 4x10 vs 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ramza, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ramza

ramza

Dec 15, 2017
    Hello and thank you for taking this question. I currently have a Peavey headliner 1000 and a Peavey headliner 4x10 cab. The head runs at 1000w RMS at 4ohms and the cab is rated for 800w at 8ohms.

I was reading that I would be able to get more power out of the head by adding another 8ohm cabinet and have them function together at 4ohms. My question is whether I should add another headliner 4x10 cab or the headliner 2x10 cab which handles 400w at 8ohms.

I'm not sure exactly how many watts you would want the combined cabinets to be rated for or if that even matters. For instance two 4x10's would both be 800w at 8 ohms vs a 4x10 and 2x10 where one is 800w and the other 400w at 8 ohms.

I'm just kinda confused. Thank you and I'm sorry in advance if this question is redundant.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Short answer, the 410.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The amp wouldn't care if you have an 1800 watt 2x24" cab and a 1x2" cab hooked up. If they are both 8 ohm, the power will be split in half. 50% to each cab.

So in theory the 2x10 could see 500 watts. This could be very bad.

You would be limited by the power handling of the 210. Since in the real world, few cabs are actually capable of handling a bass signal MECHANICALLY at its THERMALLY rated power capacity, chances are you would only be able to put maybe 200 watts or so into that 210. Due to it being the same impedance as the 410, you would have roughly 200 watts going into the 410 as well. You might actually see no gains at all in available loudness by using both together.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, what @basscooker said.

you want each individual 10" driver to get equal power, so it's the second identical 4x10 that will give you the most butt-kick.

AstroSonic, smogg, Lobster11 and 2 others like this.
  5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Is the 500 or so watts your head is putting out at 8 ohms into your 4x10 not loud enough?

If you really need more volume (opening for Metallica at the Garden I guess?) a matching 4x10 should get you about 6db, 3 from doubling speaker area and 3 from doubling power output up the full 1000 at 4 ohms.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  6. Bingo.

7. What I posted to the sealed Fender guy applies equally.

eriky4003 and Lobster11 like this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    So the first question, is your 8 ohm cab loud enough for you? How loud are you running the amp? I used to run a 500 watt Thunderfunk into an 8 ohm 1000 watt Epifani 410 and it could easily reach deafening.

Are you asking the question because you read something or because you have an "issue" with your rig?

If you need more volume then maybe you could turn up your amp. If you don't want any more volume then you don't need another cab. IMO the benefit of another cab is the extra speakers and they can give you more tone and hopefully better tone.

If you really want more volume you can add a 210. If you do this then all you need to ensure is that the lesser powered cab is running within it's capabilities.

I doubt you're running your amp at 1000 watts so maximum numbers are misleading. If both cabs are 8 ohm then divide the wattage equally between the two. If you're running you amp at half its power that will be 250 watts into each cab. In this scenario then a 210 is fine as is the 410. You'll get more tone and volume by adding extra speakers. If you want to carry 2 410 cabs then that's fine. It'll certainly bring Talkbass's collective blood pressure down, but if you're just looking for a little push in tone then the 210 will work.

The other benefit of adding another cab is that it will bring the speakers closer to your ears and you'll hear what you've got a little better. If you put your speakers up there, get some hearing protection. I know what I sound like and what I'm playing so I'm happier that my speakers aren't anywhere near my poor old ears.

eriky4003 likes this.
  9. Ramza,
    Welcome to Talkbass. From my readings, all the advice above is correct and you are being guided well. Another thing (if you do more reading here) you'll discover that amps volumes are not necessarily linear - if you have your volume at 5/10 you may be sending 75% of rated watts to your cabinets already. Listen for stress on your speakers like farting out notes, distortion, etc. Another idea is, lift your 4x10 off the floor and closer to your ear. That may help.
    Good luck!

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Her we go again. :)

@ramza welcome here.

If you want to add a 2x10 to a 4x10, the 2x10 must have twice the impedance of the 4x10. In your case you’d need a 16Ω 2x10. This way all six drivers will “see” the same amount of power. This was alluded to earlier in the thread.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021