1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a bridge pickup to a P Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Candy Man, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Candy Man

Candy Man

Mar 9, 2011
    Hi all! I'm in need of a little help in making a decision... I want to add a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz bridge pickup to my Fender Classic 70's P-Bass... My question is should I have my bass routed in the 60's or 70's bridge position? Any advise would be appreciated... Thanks!

2. Depends on the tone you seek. The closer to the bridge, the brighter/harsher the tone. As you know, Fender tried it for awhile and then went back to the original location.
    Rocky

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    are you looking for something to blend INTO the p pickup sound, are you looking for a seperate 2nd/ alternative sound ?

I love the jazz pick up close to the bridge if you really want that focused, non harmonic nonboom (think jaco blahblahblah), but I find if you want that nice PJ blend or the option for that casual in-the-mix J sound, further from the bridge is great.

May want to.consider a humcancelling j.

4. Candy Man

Candy Man

Mar 9, 2011
    Im looking for a versatile tone... I've tried out a couple of jazz basses and can't say that I'm in love with it when I play them, but I love the sound on all the 70's salsa albums... Lol... I love the neck on my 70's pbass and figured I'd give the ultra jazz bridge pickup a go...

5. Candy Man

Candy Man

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks! I think I'll add it in the original location... I like a more round sound... What's your take on dimarzio ultra jazz pickups?

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Wish I had one! Never used any dimarzios, but I guarantee you plenty of people here have