Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a bridge PU

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by handlax14, Sep 28, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i have a yamaha RBX260 and i love to way it feels and how little it weighs. but the tonal possibilities are very limited. i am looking to change the stock P to a Seymour Dunkan Basslines PU and i want to have a space routed for a MusicMan PU to be installed. i would make the front input into a second volume control and move drill out an input on the side of the bass. do you see any problems with this customization and about how much would this work cost? thanks for all of your help

2. You can do it, but you should know that the MM pick up won't be in the exact same spot as it is on the Ray. It will be a tad bit closer to the bridge.

It's not unheard of, but the cost all really depends on the luthier you get to do it. It could be anywhere from $50 on up. I'd guess around $100 - $150. But that is a guess and I've got no idea how much someone would charge. I'd do the mod myself, and thats about how much I'd charge for that sort of job.

3. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    I would have to see the bass in person to give you an accurate estimate but it sounds like $100 - $150
    job not including the electronics...