1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a bypass loop to an EQ pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spacelordmother, May 11, 2010.

1. I have been searching and searching for a small-footprint bypass loop that has EQ. The only option I have really seen is the Xotic X-blender, but I'm not so sure that just a treble and bass control will give me what I am looking for.

This is another case of trying to "fix" a pedal that cuts more lows than I would like, but rather than "find something that doesn't" I want to add this bass back in because this is the sound. I have a Barge VFB-2, and while this works, blending the clean and effected signals doesn't always mesh the way I think it should to my ears. I have run the pedal in question (a Devi Soda Meiser <3) into a 4-band eq on my M9 and it sounds MASSIVE, but when I turn off the SM the signal gets wayyyy too boomy, hence my current quest.

How hard would it be to add a bypass loop to a preexisting eq pedal (be it Boss, or BB, or MXR, etc) - just an out and back in before the signal gets processed by the eq? That way disengaged I get "clean" signal, and engaged I get loop > eq. It seems so basic to me (for us bass players anyway) that I can't believe there isn't anything like this out there already.

Any suggestions,nudges in the right direction, or offers to build me such a device would be greatly appreciated.

:smug:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The principle is easy--the practice is not so easy, if the EQ pedal doesn't have much extra room inside. The principle is just to find the point where the audio signal first enters the EQ circuit (after the bypass circuit) and interrupt it. Run the post-bypass signal line to a send jack, and the other (effect) side of the broken line to a return jack.

If you want the EQ to operate normally with nothing plugged into the loop, you can "normal" the jacks together, using a switching jack. If you only have room for one jack, you can use a TRS jack and make it tip-send, ring-return, and use an "insert" Y cable to the Devi Ever.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Since you already have a bypass looper, why not just get an EQ pedal and put it in the loop after the SM? Just sayin'.

Otherwise, ditto to everything Bongo said.

4. Thanks for the input, Bongo!

Bird, because then I have 3 pedals instead of 2, and the barge has a larger footprint already. I know the easiest thing is "find dirt that doesn't lose lows", but that doesn't sound like my SM, and that's the sound I have been looking for.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I would not suggest you ditch your SM; I know the joys and sorrows of having a fuzz that only has both it's own character and great lows when you stick it before an EQ.

Do you twiddle knobs on the SM or foresee yourself doing so on an EQ pedal once you find a good setting? Are you going to turn either on or off during a set? Is powering one more pedal going to be a problem?

If the only issue is footprint, then you should stack the EQ and SM on top of each other or put them out of the way somewhere.

6. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Why not put the M9 in the loop with the Soda Meiser? That way you can have the eq on with the SM, then bypass both with one footstomp so your tone isn't too boomy when the SM is off...

7. A good option unless I want to use any other effects in the M9 at the same time. :/