1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a cab to a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred Mott, May 12, 2011.

1. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    As you all know, I have been asking about a LDS 2x8 cab, I just found out today it was a 250 watt 8ohm cab. How will this work with my MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo 15. It's rated 300 watts by itself and 500 with another 8ohm cab. Doe's the wattage need to match. This is maybe a stupid question, but this is a expensive amp. I can't afford to hurt it. Also do you think I will get a good sound, and retain a good low end. Again I thank you all for your input. It really helps.

2. evilt70

evilt70

Feb 6, 2011
    Pekin, Il
    If its rated for a second 8 ohm cab you wont hurt the amp, your additional cabinet might not be safe though (at high volume levels).

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I mostly hear that like cabs sound and work best unless you biamp due to the possibility that some notes will get cancelled because of out of phase issues. I've considered adding a 15" or 210 to my 12", but have held off due to all the comments. Your combo might work best with a Traveler 151P, although the markbass site comments a lot on putting their 15s with one of their 210s. Maybe there are no out of phase issues with their cabs, I dunno.

4. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I tried a MarkBass 210 combo, and the 210 was just not my thing. Maybe the 210 cab by itself sounds different. Right now I'am using my amp with a, Carvin BRX12 thats a 212 cab. It sounds real good, but even though they rated as a neo cab it's still around 70 t0 80 pounds I was told. My goal buying the Jeff Berlin combos was good sound, less to carry around. I still want to get good sound. Also I still want to get the full advantage of my amp, when I need to play larger gigs. Maybe a 112 cab. I wasn't sure if the amp would pump more wattage are split it to a another cab.

5. Should be fine. The amp will send a max of 250w to both of the 8 ohm loads. Of course you can still destroy both the combo speaker and the extension speakers if you turn up to much and ignore any farting out noises. Once the speakers start making nasty sounds you need to back off the volume.

6. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I'am making a cab, I found an old SWR Workingman combo that was rated at 220 watts. The amp in it was fried. I took it out today, and cut it off down even withe the rest of the cab. Then I glued back the rat fur turned it upside down and put rubber feet on it. You can't even see where its cut. It looks nice. Its very close to the same size as my MarkBass combo very close. I'am going to order some handles from Parts Express,and put in the sides. It is ported like my combo, the cab is just a little wider. It looks good. When I get done I will try to put a picture on here. But now I got to figure what 15 speaker to use. The speaker in it was gone. My son is trying to get me to use Carvin's higher dollar neo 15 in stead of the PS. I don't know what MarkBass uses,someone at Guitar Center told me they use BC speakers something like that. What would you guys suggest. I don't have a lot of money to spend, and this will let me keep my Carvin BRX12 until the economy gets better and I can sell it.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'll bet that SWR cab is tuned for the original speaker that was in it. Something different might not have the same specs and might sound different (good or bad). But I'm no techie.