1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a cabinet to a 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Mar 28, 2013.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have an older 8ohm SVT-410HEN cabinet that I'm not liking very much sound wise currently, and I'd like to add a 210 or 212 to get more out of my head SVT-CL / add volume.

Is there anything I can add in the $300-400 range, or cheaper, that would be a nice addition to the rig?

2. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Ad the 210 not the 212. or another 410.

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a an SVT410HE (exactly the same as yours just newer) that I use with a SVT15EN and they sound decent together. If you don't like the SVT410 though you may want to ditch it and get a pair of cabs you do like. The SVT15 sounds a bit different from the 410 so you might like that better. It really depends on what your looking for.

$300-400 gives you a ton of options in the used market. I highly recommend used.

4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Would the Avatar NEO 210 be a good choice?

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The 410 just sounds a little dead to me.

6. Then you need to ditch it, and find something you do like.

Matching cabs is the way to go, but if you don't already love the cab you have, there is no point.

Mixing different cabs and speaker sizes creates other potential problems. It would be a crapshoot at best as to if it will sound good together, or even worse.

7. Another 4x10 or add a 1x15 to the 4x10......

8. Why? Why add more mess to a cab he doesnt like the sound of?

9. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Since you cab sounds dead, I recommend a whole new cab setup. And let the GAS begin.

10. +1

With this particular amp, I would be looking at a 4 Ohm cab(s), it doesnt like to be run with an 8 Ohm cab.

11. I have two 4x10's. I HATE how playing through just one of them sounds, but the two of them together sound great(in my opinion).

Plus the topic was "adding a cabinet to a 4x10", that's why. :rolleyes:

12. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah I'm really in no position to just ditch the 4x10. I need to make a cheap (as possible) / smart (as possible) decision that will give the rig some new life.

13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    You say that like GAS ever stops... does it for some people??? :D

14. I have to agree with the idea that if you don't like your current 410, you're not going to be able to really fix that by adding another cabinet. You might help it out a little bit, but I would flip it and try to get a 410 you do like as the starting point.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Then this may be the one instance where i recommend mixing cabs!

Get a second 8Ω cab that you do like the sound of, then run it in top of the 4x10 for now.

Once the funds get lined up right again, get a second identical one of the cab you do like, and ditch that dull-sounding 4x10.

Two matched cabs that each sound good = guaranteed win.

16. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    This sounds like what I want to do, but what do you all recommend cab wise? Avatar 210 possibly? Peavey headliner 210?

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Have you tried Eden or Genz? Nice stuff. I wouldn't add; I'd switch it out. Plenty out there will go good w your svt-cl.

18. I recommend you take your amp down and find a 115 or 410 that you like the sound of. Get that. Then down the road get a second.

19. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I think I'm about done with my GAS, unless I need to play a stadium. Then I'm back at square one. There's only a few things I'd want, like a DI, or tools. :bag:

20. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I would find a used 410 that you do like. SWR, Eden, Fender, or even another Ampeg. I think you'll be disappointed adding a 115 or 210.