1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a DiMarzio Dual-coil J: How to wire.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimWilson, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I have a Precision with the standard pup and wiring. I just got a Dimarzio dual-coil J that I want to add. I know that the EASIEST way is to simply tie the the four pickup leads down into two and tie it into the existing pickup wiring, giving me no pickup switching options, just both pups full on, which is frankly, how I'll use it 99% of the time, anyway.

My other thought was to kill the tone pot and make it a second volume. Who turns down the tone, anyway? Well, I'm sure some do, but not me. Again, that would mean tying the four Dimarzio leads down into two.

My question is, am I doing something very wrong with this pickup by doing that? Clearly, the four leads were not MEANT to be tied together, or there wouldn't BE four. Right? Am I basically turning this dual coil into a single coil? Am I jeopardizing the time-space continuum or anything?

2. Do you want the coils in series or parallel? Stacked humbuckers can operate in single coil, series or parallel modes. You could run them in series or parallel with separate volumes. Split coils can only run series or parallel, without any separate volumes. You can only do series/parallel switching.

If you add a third volume pot, just be mindful of the impedance drop with the extra pot. If your pot values are too low, things could get darker.

3. Yowsa. I'm a fair-to-middling soldering gunner, but that's all a bit over my head. I'm definitely not going to add any new pots. The LEAST I'll do is just tie into the existing pups. The MOST I'll do is turn the tone pot into a second volume and add a coil tap. I just need to know if dropping the leads down to two is compromising this pickup in a sinful way.

4. DiMarzio does not make any tapped pickups, and you are adding a third volume pot by re-purposing the tone control.

The pickup will always output to two leads unless you're doing something fancy with multiple outputs. You will either use one coil, the other, both in series or both in parallel, if it's a stacked humbucker. Be sure it is not a split coil DiMarzio, however, as there cannot be separate volumes for split coil pickups unless you intend to adjust the string balance.

5. I'm getting scared like a little girl on prom night. Let me ask you this (and thank you for the help)...

Can I not just take the two hots from the pup and tie them together, then do the same with the grounds, giving me just one hot and one ground from the pup, then run the existing P pup straight from the volume pot to the output jack, then copy that same wiring from the new J pup to the existing tone pot (repurposing for volume)? I'd still have only two pots, which would now both be individual volumes. Can that not work?

6. Ah, I thought you were talking about a Jazz bass with three volumes. Should have paid more attention.

For a P bass with two pickups and two volumes, follow the wiring for a Jazz bass. Note that the P pickup's hot will need to go to the middle terminal of its volume pot, not the first terminal, the way it is probably wired now. This is because the volume pots cannot vary output impedance, or rolling one down will mute both pickups.

Parallel wiring is fine, but most DiMarzio players prefer series. This is especially worthy of consideration since the J pickup needs to be able to stand up to the higher output and output impedance of the P pickup.

7. Thanks. Dremel tool; check. Soldering gun; check. Goggles; check. Heineken; uh oh...