1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

adding a dummy pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anybody ever add a dummy pickup to a single single coil pickup bass?

any ideas as to how to wire another single coil into the bass to hum cancel and not pickup anything or add to the sound?

2. I believe Alembic has done that for a long time.
    Dirk

3. jim primate

yeah...thanks.

so does ernie ball/musicman.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    On the Series basses it goes to it's own buffered input so as not to load down the single coils.

On a passive bass, remove the magnetic structure from the (now dummy) pickup then wire in parallel, out of phase.

5. jim primate

so i gotta knock out the magnets, and you have to talk down to me a little.

parallel out of phase?

where do the black and white wires go?

this is just a simple '51-ish p-bass. one single coil, one volume, one tone.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Yes. In some types of pickups the poles are iron and the magnet runs along the bottom. In this instance just removing the magnet should be fine.
    Mention this for others that may be reading with pups of different construction.

If on the active pickup, ie the one with magnets has the white to the pot and the black to earth, the dummy pickup will be the opposite.

7. jim primate

this bass is passive. that doesn't make a difference does it?

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Nope. I was concerned about using the word active above. I should have just said the functioning pickup.

Dummy coils won't work with an active pup, a la EMG.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Why?

10. jim primate

cool.

so, just remove magnets, wire black to ground white to pot?

if it still hums then the polarity is wrong, right? and that's fixable, right?

i've heard some pickups are both wound the same way just wired reverse of eachother or something to still cancel hum.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Because for there to be a humbucking effect, the coils should be near as possible to identical and connected directly to each other to maximise the effect. Dunno how you'd get a coils the same as is inside an active EMG, seperate, and without the onboard buffer in the way.

It 'may' be possible to do it in a manner similar to Alembic, but I don't see the point as active pups are usually hum free antway.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'd try it the other way first.

Correct.

Also correct, but the pup you're using is an individual single coil. Reverse wound pickups usually come in a set.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Couldn't you just route the hole for the pickup deeper and put a second one wired out of phase underneath?

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    A second active EMG? Then you'd get no output.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Right because the poles would still be there.

16. jim primate

excellent, thank you, theshadow.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021