1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a GK Powered Cab to a GK MB212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Feb 12, 2018.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I'm curious what views of additional GK MB powered cabs would be.

With a MB212, I have 500 watts through the two 12" speakers. In most cases, this alone provides me with enough power on stage, but I'm curious what benefit would a 115MBP add to the scenario.

The MBP115 adds another 200 watts, but it's through a 15". Considering that I don't run the MB212 beyond a 4 level in most small venues, would there be a benefit of the 115 to add warmth and fill out the sound?

Years ago, I had a GK rig with a 210 on top of a 115. I always thought the 115 filled out the sound nicely, while the 210 cut. 200 watts from a 115 seems like it would be significantly underpowered compared to the 212 cab, but should I be thinking about it from a single speaker perspective? Each speaker in the 212 is running about 250 watts, right? So, would this be more balanced?

The reason I ask is that while the GK MB and MBP line seems really adaptable, there are only a few cabs that fit an equal footprint. An additional 212MBP brings the whole rig to 1000watts and that's a lot of power. A MB212 with a MBP115 is 700 watts total, but sonically, does the 115 add much?