Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding a humbucker to a pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Mar 24, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    im thinking about routing out my pbass and adding a humbucker in the bridge to make it a deluxe p bass or whatever. anyone done this? is it a tricky mod?

2. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    what kind of humbucker are you using, i only ask because i want to do the same thing in my project bass that im building, is there a special kind for basses, or can you use one that is ment to go in like a gibson guitar??

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    There's a lot of options you could go for adding a humbucker at the bridge. You could add a Jazz pickup sized humbucker, another P pickup, a MusicMan sized pickup, or any sort of "soapbar" humbucker. You can't place a MusicMan pickup exactly where it would be on a Stingray on a P-Bass because the 2 pickups would overlap. The MIA P-Bass Deluxe has a MusicMan-esque pickup at the bridge, but its smaller and is "voiced" differently. I would suggest throwing in a passive Jazz shaped humbucker at the traditional Jazz bridge pickup location. There's several models available, you just need to find one that suits your sonic needs.

Some you might want to look at:
    Seymour Duncan Basslines - Classic Jazz Stack
    Seymour Duncan Basslines - Hot Jazz Stack
    Dimarzio - Model J
    Dimarzio - Ultra Jazz
    Bartolini - 9CBJD (Classic Bass series, Jazz stacked model)

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Me and my friend are currently working on his squier P, and he just used a dremel and apparently a flat-head screwdriver to route a hole for a second P pickup. As long as you get the route in the right place and whatnot, and can wire it correctly, I see no problems. If you have no routing experience, make sure that you can live with an ugly hole there, or just get someone who knows what they're doing to do it. Other than that, it's majorly easy, and a really cool mod.

The model of pickup is all about taste, but if the pole pieces don't line up with the strings properly, don't expect even response.