1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a humbucker to my Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dllive, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi,
    I have a Fender Jazz bass (Mexican made). It has 2 single coil pickups. I'm getting bored of my sound and want something with a meatier sound. I play funk - James Brown, Fatback Band, Stevie Wonder etc...

I really like my bass - the way it looks and how it feels, so I'm thinking of putting a humbucker pickup on it. Is this a good idea? should I have 2 humbuckers or 1 humbucker and 1 single coil? I also play a little slap, and so need to also have those high tones too. Maybe it would be cheaper/easier if I just bought a new bass!?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as Im really into new territory here.
    Thanks

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
  3. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
  4. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Wow - great replies, thanks!
    I'll have a closer read of these later today. I won't be making the modifications myself, I would rather take it to a professional.
    Cheers.

5. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi guys,
    I took my bass to the shop yesterday and the guy said he would fit in 2 Aguilar pickups. (Im not sure whether he's putting in the AG 4J-70 or AG 4J-60 type). Do you think these will do the job?

6. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Hi,

I have a Marcus Miller Jazz bass. I run it passively and have the humbucking Dimarzio Model-J pickups in it.

I've had these pickups in the bass for about seven years. I play a ton of Stevie Wonder and gritty nasty old school stuff like you.

This is no comment on the Aguilars but you can *not* go wrong with the Model-Js. The price is right, they are dead quiet, and sound amazingly strong and gritty. I like being able to adjust the pole heights, I was able to fine tune the response across the strings.

I'm not much of a slapper but the Model-J's are fine for that too.

So, for humbucking jazz pickups: Model-J, that's my vote.

Good luck!

7. Yea for the model j ! I do want to try a set of the Joe Bardens in a j and a p. I've loved his guitar designs and used them for years and expect greatness from his bass designs as well. And they are dead quiet and will fit without routing.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I love the Model J's I put in my Geddy Lee!

9. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Those Dimarzio Model-J's look nice! The Aguilars are twice as much, so hopefully that additional expense will mean the tone/versatility is better.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Not really. The DiMarzios are hum canceling, while the Aguilars are not. The DiMarzios can be switched between series and parallel for each pickup for added tones.

The Model Js were designed for a fatter tone, because in 1979 that's what players wanted from a Jazz. The other DiMarzio Jazz pickups are more traditional sounding while still being hum canceling.

DiMarzios are cheaper because they are a bigger company and all they do is make pickups.