Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adding a j bass bridge pup to a mike dirnt p?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bibby, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    i recently got the mike dirnt p- love the neck! i want to add a j pup at the bridge, but i'm concerned about matching output after much searching in the archives. and the dirnt pup seems to be hotter than most.

is there a jazz pup out there that is "hot" enough to keep up with the p?

i'm considering replacing the either the volume or the tone with a blend- i always run both wide open. would that help even things out?

thanks!

2. The DiMarzio Ultra Jazz bridge puts out 250mV, which is pretty hot. The Duncan pickups do not spec output, but only use words like "high".

The Ultra Jazz is hotter and more scooped sounding than the DiMarzio Model J (150mV). Both are excellent pickups and hum cancelling by themselves, in case you want to bridge solo without the hum.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I absolutely love the dirnt neck too!! right now its my beater bass and it kills. I thought about a P-J combo and selling the custom dirnt pickup (with more demand fender will release this pickup to the masses) So you could go for a balanced P-J combo if you can live without the dirnt P (which I''ve been told is very close to the SD 1/4 pounder in terms of tone.) of course you could try to balance out the pickup. Tell you what, pop out the pickup - take it to some who can measure it's resistance and inductance. then Email Bill Lawrence, at billlawrence.com. It'll take a while but if you explain your piece He may wind a J45 you the proper specs to balance out the dirnt P (all of his designs are humcancelling). only $60. As for the control layout- just get a 250K blend pot and 250K stacked concentric pots for volume and tone - you have your cake and eat it too! :hyper:

Peace out!

Mike

4. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    mike, thanks for the reply!

i didn't even think about a concentric v/t- that sounds like the way to go. i'm thinking of just trying out a dimarzio model j bridge and see how that sounds. if i think it is lacking i may go the lawrence route.

bill