1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a J pickup to my Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HMZ, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have a 2010 American P bass that I would like to add a Jazz bass pickup to. I can't decide which pickup to use.
    I like the Dimarzio model J but can't find just a bridge pickup. It seems they only sell them in sets. I could use the Ultra jazz and I also like the Seymour Duncan SJB-2. Any suggestions would be great. HELP!

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Nordstrand.

3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Will a Nordstrand single coil pickup work with the P pickup or do I need a hum bucking pickup?

4. Having a Warwick PJ bass with a single coil jazz pickup. I'd try to go with a humbucker bridge pickup. If I turn up the single coil pickup at all, there is some very notiecable hum, which obviously gets louder the more I give it, if I solo it, or the more treble I give it.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Will the single coil be noisy with the p pickup?

6. Yes, the P pickup only cancels the hum on itself. A single coil pickup however will hum when it is picking up any signal, unless there is another single coil pickup at the same volume to cancel the hum.

7. Another coil that is RWRP.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    so what would be a good hum bucking pickup that will be as loud as a P pickup?

9. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Any dualcoil/hum cancelling j pickup would be great, to taste.. Though, since you asked, the Nordstrand fatstack/big split would be a nice fat addition to the p

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I like the spit coil from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. He does awesome custom work for the same price as off the shelf... He stuff is the ship as it were, this being a family show and all...

I would also consider going with something in a soap bar format where you can get more magnet and wire under the cover. It will of course look a little different but having a strong bridge pickup might provide some tonal options you can't get with a J in the bridge.

11. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Actually, I know a guy that has my old Model J bridge pickup that doesn't want it. I can put you in touch? Bear in mind where I live...

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Thanks but I'll see if I can find one local if I go that route