Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a J PU to a G&L 1500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gianni, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Hello!
    :bag:

I would like to add a J PU to a G&L 1500 in neck position .

I really like the tone from a neck J PU when I play with a pick and I would like to obtain further tonal variation by mixing both PU.

Does anyone have a suggestion about the J PU or an experience?
    The impedance of the G&L humbucker is about 10 K ohm

I also own a Warwick Jazzman that I really like.
    In this bass both PU are closer to the bridge with respect to MM's and J's originals.

Cheers
    Gianni

2. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    I thought the same thing about my Climax ( ancestor of L1500 ) for a period.But then I realized that was what this bass meant to be.Very powerfull and very growly but a rude agressive growl if you know what I mean...Besides you have the risk of losing the value of the bass if you want to sell it in the future.
    The story of me ended up leaving the bass as it is.
    My advice is if you dont like it the way it is, sell it and get the one you like.

3. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Thank you for your advice, bassarch, but the one I like is a G&L1500 with a J PU at the neck....I think... :confused:

Ciao
    Gianni

4. Have Warmoth build you one.

Hacking the L1500 will make it worthless. I own an L1500, and would never look twice at one that had been hacked like that.

5. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    But with a J pup in the neck your bass will no longer be a L1500_? you get my point ? :) You are definitely describing something totally different from a L1500.
    I understand you very well as I went through the same exact period.I wanted my Climax to sound more mellow and smooth as it is a very agressive bass.And as I said in the end I understood that a L1500 (my Climax) is how it is supposed to be.It is DESIGNED that way ON PURPOSE., to be rude and to be agressive not to be smooth and mellow.

I think you should look for the L2000 series with a humbucker pup in the neck.Many people here will tell you that they are awesome.

6. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Excuse me BASSARCH, I when I will select only the standard PU the bass will play exactly like the original L1500!
    I don't want a different G&L tone, I want other tones...
    When I play I usually change the PU configuration depending on the way I play. Neck PU for pick, both for slap and fingering, bridge PU for more penetrating fingering.

If I add the PU, when I will select the J PU it will play like a Jazz Bass with neck PU and, finally, when I will select both, the bass will play like nothing else, I hope well....

I know well the L2000 because I have a G&L 2000.
    It does not have the L1500 tone, because the PU are placed in different places. Nor it has a jazz bass tone, due to different PU type...

Ciao!!
    Gianni

7. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    You have a L1500, a L200 and a warwick fna jazzman with the exact pup configuration type you want and you still want to mess with your L1500 at the very high and %99 possible risk of ruining it all. ___????

Sorry man.( But I cant understand you

8. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Dear Bassarch, thank you for your interest.

My main interest in buying a bass is to get different tones and PU configurations.

At this moment I would like to have a bass with the music man tone + the jazz neck PU tone.

Although the warwick jazzman has this kind of PU configuration, it does not sound in that way.

Infact both the PU are closer to the bridge with respect to the G&L 1500 and J neck PU and also the wood are very different.

I have bought the G&L 1500 in a special offer with this in mind.

Why do you think that the PU would ruin the G&L?
    I should give the work to a good lutier...

I have a Precision with a P bass added in bridge position and it plays quite well. When I solo the neck PU it plays like a Precision, but now I can slap it very well.

I also changed a switch and added a new one in the G&L2000: now I can set each PU to serial, parallel and single coil, obtaining very interesting combination...

I am fascinated by all these tonal variations...

Ciao!
    Gianni

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The resale of G&L basses is terrible. If you don't buy used with a knowledge of the market the bass is already worth less than half of what it cost. If installing the J style P/U in the neck position will give you more of the sounds that you want, I say go for it. The bass is usless if it doesn't provide the sounds that you want. I do hope that you have experience routing the required P/U mounting hole (or chose a J style P/U with a mounting ring; the only one that I've found is the Yamaha). I will include a word of caution. The G&L MFD pickups are extremely hot. I would get the hotest wound J style you can find if you ever plan to blend the neck and bridge otherwise the MFD P/U will overshadow the J style P/U.

10. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul

11. Good Lord people, why try and talk him out of something he want to do with HIS bass? Geez, that's not being helpful. It's like telling someone who want to color their hair to get a new scalp instead. You all must have HATED Berry Oakley for modding his Jazz bass with Guild pickups... it's not an unheard of mod he wants here. Mods are fun. Do it right, and it could mean all the difference. G&L didn't say L-1500 HAS to be this way. it's a variant on the L-2000 with just one pickup. At the time in the marketplace, those were the popular options. Now alot of people love LAklands. A humbucker bridge, and a J coil in the middle. He's almost there. Now he just wants a J-coil added to a superior bass that has the potential to be better FOR HIM.

Why is everyone so hung up on resale value? If he likes the bass, he's gonna keep it. If not, he knows already he's gonna take a hit. Big whoop dee doo. Are we bass players or bass owners here? Not to be a jerk, but it's his bass, quit trying to talk him out of it. It's not like he wants to paint it dayglo orange or something...even then, his call. I used to have an ATK bass I loved, but wanted a J coil in it. I must not have been the only one, as Ibanez went ahead and did it themselves. Did Ibanez all of a sudden see POTENTIAL in their design? Or did they see, in the end, a mockery of their initial "perfectly exectuted" design? Obviously Lakland saw the LIMITATIONS of the Stingray design, and IMPROVED it in their own eyes. THAT is the difference. Why should he have to give up a bass he loves to play, is comfortable with, and can be modded on the cheap, to get something else (Warwick, blah blah) he's gonna have to dump oodles more coin towards obtaining, to possibly be dissapointed with?

To that end, if you decide to do the mod, take into consideration that the G&L is an active bass. The Magnetic Field pups are very very strong, and even moreso with the preamp on. You will want to find a J-coil that can work well within these considerations. It also depends on how you want that J coil to sound. If you want a vintage-y tone, unless you play that pup soloed w/o the bridge pup and preamp, you're out of luck. If you want it to work well in conjunction with the current system, you're not going to be in the same ballpark. Close, but prolly much more modern sounding. I'd suggest trying a few different pups on other basses that are active (might I suggest Laklands, as that's kinda the vibe you're trying to hit, aesthetically, and tone-options-wise???) and see how those pups work?

Bartolini, EMG, Lane Poor, Lindy Fralin, all very nice pups. So are Seymour Duncan Active Jazz. VERY nice pickups, and a bit easier on the wallet. I love SD pups. Gte a blend-knob installed inline before the preamp. It'll compensate for a tad difference in output. ANYTHING is doable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

As for the routing, if you're not skilled, have a pro do the job. straight flute bits. crisp template. patience. you want to minimize the finish chipping around the new rout. apply masking tape around perceived border of the new rout before applying the template. it helps. Make sure the luthier uses the correct bits for wiring channelling. It's a 15 minute job, but one that can be done potentially very poorly.

Good luck, hope it works out for ya. I love G&L's. Used them forever. Sadly, my L-2000E, made in 82, succumbed to a compression hump in the neck, heat treatment is no help, and I can't get a replacement.... G&L makes a great bass, but it's not the end-all be-all. They made alot of basses. Remember the El Toro? I used to own 2. Better than Jazz basses, IMO. The JB-2. New bass. Get one of those pickups from G&L directly... It'll be compatible with the MFD pup in it. No worries. Think about the blend pot too. You;ll have a one-of a kind G&L. That's very cool too. At least to me.

Ron

12. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    I have appreciated the considerations of Bassarch, but I have to say that I fully agree with Ron.
    I am not interested in selling the G&L 1500, although in Italy the effect of a modification (if well done) is not so significant for the value of an intrument.

Regarding the technical aspect, I will take into account the suggestions of Ron and JOME77.
    I am not interested to a vintage tone in this case.
    I was thinking to a J PU with a hot output, maybe the S. Duncan SJB2 or the SJB3 and try to add a PU selector like that in the G&L2000. If it should not work I could substitute it with a blend knob.
    I will also take information about the possibility to buy a G&L PU here in Italy, but I think it will be very expensive.

Anyway I think that I could blend the jazz more with the Bridge PU in parallel than in series, which is VERY hot.

Thank you
    Ciao
    Gianni

13. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    Either way , good luck :)