Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a little flavour for alone practice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Ok, for jamming in my room by myself(where i do most my playing) I'd like to add a little something. Ya know "flavour" :). I'm kinda hesitant to pick up a multi-effect, because I've heard they are lame for live, and they can be well.... crappy sounding... 100 bucks, tops, includes used on ebay and that is a shipped total.

1. I could go the multi effect route, because they are cheap and I am using it mainly for personal use...

2. Or I could pick up a middle of the road chorus, reverb, distortion, filter, etc..EHX, marshall somehting like that.. I just need spice. (((No Boss pedals.)))

I want something cool for practicing scales etc. I have a guitar port... so when i feel like wering headphones and klilling my tone with that I do :)

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Try the multis. Don't take internet opinion as gospel. Your ears are the judge. No one will make jokes about your effects when you are playing live.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a Tascam BT-1 which is a great practice tool, but has the cheesiest effects ever. I think they had 1k of ram left over and tried to cram a lot of effects into it :meh:

But once in a while it is fun to crank up the auto wah and play along to Ozzy :bassist:

So a multi effect might be fun, and it wouldn't be near as bad as the Tascam.

And why no Boss? For the price you can't beat them. The Boss bass chorus is lots of fun.

4. I guess I could pick up a multi. Then when I get comforable with certain effects I can pick up higher quality boxes of the 1-2 I like.

The reason I don't like boss is because of feedback... I played an odb3 and it was absolutely horrid. I got a better distortion just emulating bass notes with my voice :). I just assumed other boss was just as poorly made.

I like quality... which is why I would rather a single quality pedal/multibox, than 3 boss pedals.

5. Maybe check out the Johnson J-Station. It's kind of a poor-man's POD. But, I have heard they are actually quite decent with bass. Probably occasionally under $100 on ebay. I think DigiTech makes a POD-copy, too.

~ Charlie

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't like multi-effects units, but this is good thinking right there. :)

7. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    If its for solo use then maybe a wah, the're quite fun to mess around with.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For good cheap fun I like older pedals by DOD, Ibanez, Maxon, and MXR. Sure, sometimes they go for "vintage collectable" prices, but if you keep your eyes peeled you can snag a great deal. Especially check out DOD, they are usually very cheap used, and IMO pretty cool sounding. Again, talking about older pedals from like the 80s.

Also, for at-home practice entertainment, you can't beat a delay pedal. Definitely makes scales more fun, and it can also improve your timing as you keep tempo with the delay taps.

9. if it is for messing around at home, please pick up a multi. They are a lot cheaper and they have everything. Sure, there are better-sounding stompboxes out there but they come at a price and you need batteries and cables to connect them and when you have more than 2, you want a powersupply and in the end, the stompboxes will cost more.

Afcourse, after you fiddled around with a multi, you know which effects you like and which ones you never use. Then you can get out and find the pedals you want.

Anyway, that's the way I did it :) So I know which option is cheaper and which one is more fun.