1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a magnetic pickup to a Luna Bass Uke... and more!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jouleo, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jouleo

Jouleo

Jun 7, 2015
    Hi there

I've got a Luna Bass Uke Tat. Not to be confused with a U-bass, it's actually tuned an octave higher than a regular bass; it's basically a small acoustic guitar with just the bottom four strings. It has flatwound steel strings and a piezo pickup under the saddle, with a built-in pre-amp.

It's very and convenient to play, the sound it makes isn't really my thing. However, I've played a few gigs with it through an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe pedal, and sometimes my Big Muff Pi, and it then sounds really very wonderful. I've still got three problems with it, however...
    1. Mains hum. It does, sometimes, unpredictably, really pick up a buzz. This is bearable if plugged direct into an amp, but through my octave pedal it just turns into a 25Hz modulation that just makes it unplayable.
    2. One string louder than the others. The E string really booms at twice the volume of the others. The problem seems to be the saddle. If I slide-out the saddle and put it in the other way, then it just makes the G string loud instead.
    3. I'm an idiot who can't help tinkering with things. Granted, this isn't the Luna's fault.
    So, I'm going to take it to a recommended luthier to see if they can get the saddle/piezo evened-out, and get advice on the hum. So-far, so-sensible... right?

However... how sensible would it be to get a magnetic pickup installed in this thing? Or even... I know this is probably completely stupid... building-in some octave-effect electronics to the Uke itself?

Cheers
    Jouleo

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I thought those little Ukes lacked metal strings, no?

3. Jouleo

Jouleo

Jun 7, 2015
    The U-Basses have the thick rubbery strings that play an octave lower like a proper bass. Great sound, but I find them a bit sticky. My Luna Uke bass has steel strings.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. Jouleo

Jouleo

Jun 7, 2015
    HaphAsSard likes this.