Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a mid-freq switch on a Lakland.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tortoise.sg, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I realized that I constantly switch my style of play and need to switch around the mids quite often so I'm was wondering if I should send my Lakland 55-94 to a luthier to install a 4-way selector switch for the mid-frequency.

Are there 4-way selector switches out there? (cos I've never seen one before.)
    Would it affect the circuitry?
    Would it affect the resale value of my bass?

Thanks
    Eugene

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ever consider sending it to Lakland for this work? They do a lot of repair work on Laklands and non-Laklands and do fantastic work, as I can attest.:D

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    There are 3 way mid-switches available on Bart systems, my Elrick and MTD had them. Keith Roscoe uses a pull-pot on the mid knob to change the mid-frequency point. Why do you want a 4 way? BTW, I'd like the same mod (3 way) on my Lakland which is my main live axe. It shouldn't hurt the value overmuch, mine has LEDs and I think it's worth more as a result.

4. RAM: My location says SINGAPORE. It's alright, thanks anyway. :cool:

Thumper: Yeah, I've tried 2 Elrick in the past 3 days with the 3 way mid switch and found it very useful. That is kinda why I want the switch on my bass. The Bartolini pre-amp in the Lakland has the 4 frequency selector thats why I want a 4 way switch. :)

Anybody here did this mod before?

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    D'OH!!! :eek:

I like the 3 band eq. I have the same 3 band Bart pre in my Jerzy as in the Elricks. It's pretty useful.:D

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's not as simple as having someone install a switch - you need an on-board preamp that supports this option, or someone that knows how to add the needed components or circuit. Most of the preamp makers offer this option, so you may want to research the various preamps and buy one (and have it installed if you're not experienced with this).

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I ordered my two 4-94s with the mid freq switch from the factory, AFAIK you can't use a 4 way selector. I sacrified the 700Hz frequency. I'm sure a luthier can do the mod. Check the schematics on Bartolini.net.

I think that it won't affect the resale value if it's done properly.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

8. I have a Lakland 55-01 with the US Bartolini preamp. If you have this preamp you can do the midrange switch, and it should be pretty simple. Dan Lakin will sell you one of the switches complete with the required resistors for $20. The plans are available at the Bartolini website. I would suggest you try the sound out before you do this though. Inside of the control panel there should be a two-switch array that will allow you to change the frequency. I tried it on a few different frequencies and found I preferred it on the original 500hz frequency. If you still want the switch write Dan from the Lakland website.