1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a mudbucker and volume pot to a PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pope_joan, Oct 24, 2018.

1. pope_joan

pope_joan

Oct 24, 2018
    I got a cheap Fender Mustang PJ and I was thinking of routing a cavity for a Gibson style neck mudbucker for it as a fun project. The pickguard covers that area, so it doesn't have to be incredibly clean, which is an added bonus. I've heard that mudbuckers have really high impedance levels, though, and will drown out any other pickups. I was thinking of keeping the three way selector as is and putting in a roller pot a la a jazzmaster to control the mudbucker's volume before the main volume pot, since the control panel is a bit tight as it is and I think roller pots are cute. I'm pretty good at brainless soldering but my electrical engineering knowledge is pretty minimal.

Will I introduce more tone suck by adding a new pot to my bass? Does anyone have any suggestions for a more elegant solution? I don't really care for stacked knobs, and I'm also not really interested in 5-way strat selectors. Also, I've heard you can get a big tonal variation by introducing a series/parallel switch to mudbuckers. Would that still have a large effect when combine with the tone from the P pickup?

2. if you're talking about EB-0 pickups, they are up about 28K I believe. I have an EB-3 which has one of those and also has I think about a 10K bridge minibucker and for some reason the minibucker completely drowns out the big neck pickup with both volumes on 10 unless it is something with the wiring, of course all you have to do is turn down the vol a little to balance them, so if you add a volume control you should have no problem. That was a common mod on P basses and Jazzes during the 60's and early 70's.