1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

adding a mute switch...would you add one to an amp that doesn't have one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Ordered a Demeter Bass 400, it's getting built next week. I have the option of adding a mute function (it would be a push/pull pot on the presence knob).

I can't think of any downside to this (unless its more $$$), and frankly Im surprised at the number of amps that don't have these, Im guessing it's not added as a cost saving measure.

2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I honestly don’t like having one. I use it on an amp that has a mute switch but usually it is just one more thing that might be accidentally set when I’m trying to set up quickly.

StrangerBasses likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Is there a light that lets you know that the mute is on?

4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

probably not...Im sure I could ask for one and he would do it but it would add more cost to an already expensive amp.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I would rather have a toggle or push button than a push/pull pot. With a combination control, inevitably you will change your presence setting a bit when when you mute or unmute the amp. Hopefully the control is not overly sensitive like the mute/master volume control on the Mesa M9 Carbine. The mute function is built into the M9's foot switch but I never use it. Usually when I gig, I use a Boss TU-3 tuner that automatically mutes during tuning; so I have no need for another mute switch. YMMV.

DrummerwStrings, dralionux and Stumbo like this.
  6. Mute switches are a fairly recent phenomenon, where’s John Travolta when you need him? You could do what we all did back in the distant past and partially unplug the guitar cable from the amp’s input jack.

brlottermann likes this.
  7. Hydron

Hydron Supporting Member

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Quality Tuner pedal

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I have heads with and without. It's a non-issue for me.

If I had a head without mute and wanted that feature, I would add a tuner between the guitar and head. Kills two birds with one stone.

Artman, Groove Doctor and Don41_2 like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Mute button/switches on amps are useful if the amp has a tuner out and you actually use it with your tuner.

GrapeBass likes this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Anything in the signal path affects the tone. If you have no reason to use it, don't get it.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  11. Such a simple feature, I can’t understand why more recent amps don’t have them.

Tuner pedal is the way to go if you don’t have one.

Artman likes this.
  12. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    Like some one stated above, get a Boss TU-3 tuner pedal and use it as your mute switch. Two purposes in one. I actually have my TU-3 setup to be on all the time, so I don't use it as a mute pedal/switch. Instead, I have an AYB and use that as the mute pedal/switch. My amp has a mute switch but I don't use it. That would require me to actually be by the amp and take my hand off my bass to activate it, and that is assuming I can find it (the switch, not my amp). Using my foot is just much easier. Haven't missed the pedal with my foot yet.

12BitSlab likes this.
  13. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    THIS

14. Tuner pedal first in your signal chain. Mutes you signal to amp and DI/PA system.

Artman and Stumbo like this.
  15. I think they're great. Cancels out the pop/noise from pulling the plug. And, for quiet tuning.

Stumbo likes this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Originally I would change any 2 pickup bass that I had to a vol/blend because rolling down ONE vol was dead simple and convenient. It's a few years down the road now and I honestly feel like I have "graduated". 2 Vols gives you a little better control. - I honestly don't want to start that debate, so, gentle-readers, for the purposes of this thread and response, let's take that as gospel, because my point is - 2 Vols may be more versatile, but it's now a 2 knob process where it used to be just 1....

That back-story to say there are 2 good ways to put a mute switch on the floor where it's instantly visually verifiable and convenient:
    Secret Mute Switch
    Not the only folks making such a contraption, but this is the one I have. Works without power, but if you want the light, and I always do, you gotta run a power lead to it.

POLYTUNE 2 MINI | Tuners | Guitar | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic
    This works good too. It's the one I use every Sunday on my P&W pedalboard.

Hope you find some truth and assistance in this rhetoric!!!

Stumbo likes this.
  17. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I like having a mute switch on my amp. I have heads with and without and I manage fine with both, but a separate switch or button with an indicator light is quite nice.

I have a pedal tuner which mutes the signal, and I appreciate that as well, but it doesn't always take the place of a mute switch on the amp.

petch likes this.
  18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    my solution to this is to use circuit breaker style instrument cables like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Cir...rds=planet+waves+circuit+breaker+guitar+cable
    while not exactly what the OP asked about (mute switch on the amp), I have posted similar response to "mute switch on the amp" threads.

I have used this type of instrument cable for many years and they work great and hold up very well. I still have some from the original order 10 years ago and they are going strong. I did have one barrel assembly with the breaker switch go bad on me some years ago (swtich became intermittent), but you can buy the switching jack and just replace it easily. IMO/IME these things are very solidly built and are useful in live playing in several ways.

just a thought.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Anybody ever seen a guitar amp with a mute switch? OK, most tube amps have standby switches but solid state amps do not.

20. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I always have had a mute switch. I only use it when setting up if I turned my amp on before I connected all the cables, but it's nice to have if I didn't bring my pedalboard (volume pedal) for in between sets to keep stuff quiet and not feeding back (I play a lot of upright).