Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a neck pickup to my Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blazer, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It's a rather popular modification to add a neck pickup to a P bass style bass. I even saw pictures of a G&L bass with an added MM style humbucker added in the neck position. Being curious about this modification and after being coached a little by my buddy Richard Ritterbeeks (for the Dutch under us: former Volumia! bassplayer) I decided to try that for myself.

Last week I got hold of a pickup coming from a Fender Sting signature bass which the last owner had swapped in favor of a Rio Grande. And when getting that pickup in my posession I got out my sunburst Squier P bass and my dremel router. Since the pickup of a Sting bass has the same dimensions as a Stratocaster guitar pickup, I took the dimensions for the pickup hole in the pickguard from a Stratocaster Pickguard, I installed a tiny three way switch (Forget blending, I'd rather have an overall volume control) between the two pots, soldered the whole thing together and closed the bass up.

The end result looks a bit more discrete than to have a big Dimarzio Model one or a Gibson EB humbucker there but it sure doesn't sound discrete. All of a sudden my squier has MASSIVE low end and I had to turn my amp down. What surprised me though was that when combined, the two pickups sound a lot like a P-J combo: bright and twangy but with the way more low end than any P-J combo I ever heard.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How bout some pics?