1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

adding a neck pup to a Precision...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billoetjen, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ... well actually a SX P clone. I'd like to hear suggestions and critiques regarding this mod.
    I have a very nice SX P clone that plays great! Especially after I upgraded the pup to a Dimarzio and the bridge to a lock-down saddle variety. Very strong output and sustain, and the tone is right on. However, never being satisfied, I am thinking about extending its versatility by routing a place right up by the neck for a Dimarzio Model One (DP120). THEN, how about using a switch to send the two channels to either separate output jacks (for recording) or combine them to a single jack for live? Add separate tone/vol push/pull pots to keep the knobs to a minimum.
    This arrangement would allow me to dial-in some serious bottom thump as desired. Two questions:
    1st) Will routing so close to the neck pocket affect the integrity of the body or neck joint? The route would be about 11/16" to just allow enough room for the coil/magnet section of the pup to bottom out.
    2nd) Can all that wiring logically be made to work as desired?

Thanks in advance to all the thoughtful folks at TB.
    Bill

2. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I modded an old squier P to have an additional pickup, reverse-P right at the neck, maybe 1/4" from the pocket at the FARTHEST and it seems ok to me its also deeper than yours will be and no problems from that either, the neck has no extra movement, but I also installed a replacement neck and I very tightly bolted it on there to be sure.

I don't know about a switch to combine to one jack, I just had separate jacks, ran one thru effects and the other one clean straight into the amp. At least you aren't doing what I did and using an active pickup (EMG-P), the routing for the battery was a pain in the arse!!!

3. you can look up how a rick is wired. one jack will split them, one jack will run them both together.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Boooooooooooooooooooomy

5. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! :eek:

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I had a real Gibson sidewinder at the neck in one of my Rics. That was a cool tone.

7. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Going for the Billy Sheehan mod, eh? I say go for it!

8. Yes, pretty close to the Billy Sheehan mod. I guess I didn't actually think of it first.
    Now that I think of it, couldn't I just get by single stereo jack, and a "Y" cable? Just go 1/4" stereo split to two mono if I want to separate the two channels? Go with a mono cable into the stereo jack if I want to combine them?
    That would simplify things: no switch and only a single jack to take up space on the PG.

Any ideas?

9. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    To those of you have done a mod like this, how would you describe the sound of double precision basses? Compared to basses that only have a neck P-pickup? Any audio samples would be amazing.

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Don't they refer to this pickup placement as a mudbucker?

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Mmm... Think of it as being a budding tribute to 'Rick-O-Sound'. :D

*mumbles* I wish my dad would've :bassist:.., even an EB-0... :)

12. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yeah . . . I mounted a Dimarzio Model One in my '59 Pbass back in the mid-70's . . . the bass also had (has) a '62 Jbass pup down by the bridge . . . I decided to keep the Jbass pup and original Pbass pup, but got rid of the Model One a few months after the pic was taken

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The "mudbucker" is the pet name for the Gibson sidewinder that was in the EB series basses. The official name is the "Super Humbucker" which they used for other pickups as well.

The sidewinder is wound with a boatload of wire, and therefore have a very dark tone, with very little high end. So it's muddy sounding, hence the name. Their idea was to make it sound like the pedals on a pipe organ.

But other basses have had neck pickups and didn't sound muddy, such as the Rickenbacker 400X series.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Also note deaf pea's P-Bass has the Model One slammed right against the P-pickups, as opposed to the most well-known (Sheehan's) which has some clearance inbetween.

15. Hi,
    Yeah, I noticed the Model 1 location on his axe. Really different. I PM'd him about it and he said that there was some interaction between the two sets. Wasn't very specific, but I gather that it's not a successful location. I think that the design of the SX I have puts the P pup a little closer to the bridge. I will put the Model 1 right down at the neck. That'll also leave a nice space right in the sweet spot where I like to fingerpick in between. Too bad that Villex doesn't make a Sidewinder replacement...

From the Villex installations that I already have, I can say that anything they make will reproduce a VERY DEEP and powerful fundamental. It all depends on where you choose to locate it. Those are incredibly accurate, and musical pickups. Very fatigue-free.
    I expect the Dimarzio to be a great performer, as well.

16. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I think that it's fairly obvious that Billy Sheehan benefited from the experiences of others who came before him (when he first added HIS "mudbucker" several years after my - and others' - experiments) . . .

EDIT:Charlie LoBue (spelling?) did the routes for the '62 Jbass pup and the Model One at his shop in NYC in the summer of 1971 - I was there with the Don Ellis Orchestra playing Alice Tully Hall (at Lincoln Center?) -
    Sheehan's Humbucker was installed, by him, in 1972 . . . so it WASN'T "several years" later . . . a year to a year and a half at most . . .

At 56 (Happy Birthday, Billy!), Sheehan was about 8 years behind me coming up . . .

17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Never said he was the first one - just that he's one of the most memorable players with that layout to me.