1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a new cab to my Avatar 2x10, need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

It's time for me to upgrade to a full stack. i love my avatar 2X10 as it has great mids and highs, but it lacks some bottom end, so i'm considering either the 1X15 or 2X12.

i'm a college student so price matters. that being said the 1X15 seems like a better option, but here are my questions:

What are the ups and downs of each? Would the 1X15 give me substantially for bottom end than the 2X12?
    I'm going to be primarily using these as a stack, so i'm thinking if i got the 1X15 i wouldnt need to get it with another tweeter horn...is this a good idea? or does the 2nd tweeter make a difference?

any thoughts and expertise on this matter is greatly appreciated. thanks all.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my thoughts. I have their 4x10 which is an awesome cab...but I wanted some more bottom end so I built a 1x15. The 15 added to either 10" cab (I also built a 2x10) does give it some deep lows. I cannot comment about the 2x12 and what it would do or not do, but IMO the 1x15 gave me a great addition to a punchy 10" cab. I run the 10s by themselves a lot, but I would not run the 15 alone just because I like the punch and don't want to go without it.

hope this helps---but in the end it's just my set-up. What works for you may be different.

tweeter--I keep mine turned off most of the time.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There was a recent thread about this very subject...try a search of Avatar.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Go the 15". I use a 15 with a 2x10 most of the time. I and always have enough volume and can shape my sound however I want.