Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a new cab to my Avatar 2x10, need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

It's time for me to upgrade to a full stack. i love my avatar 2X10 as it has great mids and highs, but it lacks some bottom end, so i'm considering either the 1X15 or 2X12.

i'm a college student so price matters. that being said the 1X15 seems like a better option, but here are my questions:

What are the ups and downs of each? Would the 1X15 give me substantially for bottom end than the 2X12?
    I'm going to be primarily using these as a stack, so i'm thinking if i got the 1X15 i wouldnt need to get it with another tweeter horn...is this a good idea? or does the 2nd tweeter make a difference?

any thoughts and expertise on this matter is greatly appreciated. thanks all.

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my thoughts. I have their 4x10 which is an awesome cab...but I wanted some more bottom end so I built a 1x15. The 15 added to either 10" cab (I also built a 2x10) does give it some deep lows. I cannot comment about the 2x12 and what it would do or not do, but IMO the 1x15 gave me a great addition to a punchy 10" cab. I run the 10s by themselves a lot, but I would not run the 15 alone just because I like the punch and don't want to go without it.

hope this helps---but in the end it's just my set-up. What works for you may be different.

tweeter--I keep mine turned off most of the time.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There was a recent thread about this very subject...try a search of Avatar.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Go the 15". I use a 15 with a 2x10 most of the time. I and always have enough volume and can shape my sound however I want.