1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a P pickup to my SX 'Ray copy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by akrein62, Oct 26, 2006.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    These forums are a dangerous place. I keep getting ideas. :D

For grins and giggles, I've decided to add a P pickup to my SX 'Ray copy. Not sure why, but it sounded like a fun project. There is plenty of room in the cavity under the pickguard for a second pickup. I guess this would turn it into something like a Deluxe P.

I bought the P pickup from Reverend. Actually 2 since they were only $12. I figured an extra would be good in case I screwed something up. I also bought a Traben 3 band preamp from TB'er Triclops to replace the stock 3 band preamp. I figured it couldn't hurt. (Anyone heard of Duksung preamps?) This will actually make life easier since the Traben pre came with pots and input already wired, VTTT&Blend. My control plate only has 4 holes, so I figured I would drill a hole in the pickguard for the blend pot.

To make a short story long, here's my real questions...

Where might I find a wiring diagram to connect the 2 pickups to the blend pot? Both pickups only have 2 wires coming from them, live and ground.

Where do I connect the ground wire from the P pickup?

Next purchase before starting to cut...soldering iron.

Thanks,

Andy

2. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I found a diagram for the blend pot that should work. The remaining question would be about where to solder the ground wire for the new pickup. I guess I'll go with wherever the existing MM pickup is grounded.

And I thought someone would at least chime in that this was a stupid idea. :scowl:

Andy

3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Perhaps nobody chimed in because it wasn't a stupid idea. ;) I just didn't know what an SX 'Ray copy or a deluxe P was.

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Lucky son of a....

I wish I could have gotten my hands on one of the SX Stringray copies. From what I understand there wont be anymore made.

Personally I would have added another MM pickup on the neck position to mimick the HH Stringray. The P pickup should work too though. Infact, with the 'Ray pickup in the usual sweet spot bridge position and the P in or close to the usual P position, it should be a really versatile bass.

5. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I guess I'm easily discouraged. My "SX 'Ray copy' is the controversial SX that looks a bit too much like a Music Man Stingray with a single MM humbucker in the bridge position. I think the Deluxe P is Fender's Precision with a double coil humbucker in addition to the standard P pickup. I've never played one or even heard one as far as I know. I just thought it would be fun to add the Reverend P pickup to my SX, since it was a cheap mod. Plus I thought it would be a good learning experience and a cheap way to get 2 basses in one since the SX's body is shaped very much like a P. Finding the Traben preamp was just dumb luck since one was available on the classified forum. It's got to be an upgrade to the stock preamp and it was only $25.

Andy

6. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I considered this, but for $12, I could pass up the Reverend P. Plus, I've been appreciating a P sound alot these days...Steve Harris, Glenn Hughes w/ Deep Purple, vintage John Wetton.

Since I'm a beginner, don't play in a band or anything like that and don't plan to, I just wanted to experiment. And since modding the SX wasn't exactly like cutting into a real Stingray, I figured, why not.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I think it's a great idea, and I'd like to see and hear how it turns out!

About the questions, There's a few schematics floating around that involve blend pots. I'd contact a few of the popular preamp manufacturers to get some suggestions. I'm pretty stupid electronically, except for the most simple of schematics. :meh:

I'd do a search, too. Here's a threads I found:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253797&highlight=blend

8. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I'm looking for. :D

Andy