Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a pick up and other upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Jul 22, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of adding a jazz pick up to my stingray copy.

It's one of those basses that I'll probably never sell, or be able to sell for that matter.

It's been so heavily modded already, and with even more mods planned, what else should I do?

So far these are the mods: Pre purchase

1)Big hole from the Kahler trem bridge which is no longer installed. It's being covered by the stock bridge. Best way to fill the hole?

2)Big spot on the upper horn sanded to the finish. Cover it up, or refinish? Finish is transparent green, wod grain isn't too ugly.

3)Headstock has a Misfits skull burned into it.

Post purchase

1) Defretted
    2) Skull inlays
    3) Acrylic coating on the fretboard
    4) Stained the neck to a "Colonial Maple" for a nice dark vintage look.

Plan for the future

1) new pickguard, customized with Misfits skull decal.

2) Single coil Jazz in the neck position, ala Lakland.

3) Rewire electronics to Volume Volume Tone

4) Considering a 2 band preamp, rewire to VVTT

Anything else I could consider?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think you should repaint the bass a better color to go with the misfits theme, a dark purple or black, or dark blue maybe. Can you post pics, id love to see the skull inlays. I would think you could sand it down, put a piece of wood in the bridge cavity then fill all the gaps with wood glue, sand, and repaint.

3. I've thought about refinishing it, but the green is pretty dark and looks good. I'll have to wait til I get the black pickguard on there to see if I like it for sure. I'm not a huge fan of purple basses, and I already have 2 black and 1 blue. The green / black look fits into a Type O Negative scheme, which i like, even though it's Misfits. But the Misfits have been known to incorporate dark green into their colors.

Aw, hell. I guess I didn't wanna admit I have not the first friggin clue how to strip and refinish a bass.

Here is a close up of those inlays.

[​IMG]

and one of the headstock

[​IMG]

I need to work on the headstock a little bit, but it looks good from the original artist.

I've got more pics, but need to develop the film.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Those inlays are beyond cool! I want those so freaking bad! Where can I get that done? And as for the headstock, You should do like Jerry Only did and put a skull on it, it looks awesome! You are on lucky man!

5. The inlays were a custom job I did myself.

All I did was shrink down a good Misfts skull with photoshop, copy it a dozen times in MS Paint. I cut them out, put a dab of white glue on the back and placed them over the dots. I then put some scotch tape over them, and cut around them with a razor blade. I coated the fretboard with polycrylic which protects the "stickers" from getting messed up. It took less than an hour to get the the polycrylic point, one I found the right picture.

The headstock already has a skull on it. :confused: What did you mean?

6. I think this is what I'll do. I'm gonna have some left over ash once I cut out the body of another project bass. The stock bridge completely covers the routing job, so even if it ends up looking ugly, it isn't visible. I like the look of the trans green finsih, but repairing it will be a PITA. Finding a matching color will be easy enough, but making it transparent is gonna be tough. I might just leave it, and cover it up with a sticker or something.

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  8. Ok, I see what you mean. I've got a 3x6 inch Misfits skull decal that I'm gonna slap on the pickguard.

That is a pretty cool pic of Jerry, and thanks for the Idea. I've still got some Halloween stuff left over. I'll root through it and see if I can find something cool.

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Cool, are you a really "hard core" misfits fan? If you are check this place out, Jerry Only was one of the few who inspred me to become a bassist. It's too bad Glenn left and screwed the whole band over!

10. I'm a Misfits with Glenn fan. The post danzig Misfits are still good, but just don't feel the same to me.

I've got 138 dot com on my favorites on my home PC :D

11. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm the same way about "new" misfits, I'm only 14, but I've been listening to the Misfits since I was little, and it's just not right.