Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding A pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris3142, Dec 30, 2001.

1. okay, well now i've got my Stingray, and My P-bass, and i'd really love to buy a jazz bass but i really just dont have the money for it, nor do i think i'd be able to get a third bass and get away with it. So i'm thinking about adding a Jazz pickup to my P-bass, probably the bridge pickup, so i'm just sort of wondering if anyone's done this and if so how did you go about doing it, i'm pretty sure i'd have to add another knob, but could i then move the input to the side of the bass? i sort of needa dummies guide to doing this, thanks for any help.
    Chris

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    doing that is going to involve routing out a cavity for the pickup, and then knowing how to wire it in to your existing electronics, as well as installing a blend pot, or a seperate volume... Given the complexity of the job, and the fact that you're removing wood, its really easy to mess up. If you can't afford a new bass, i'm assuming you can't afford to mess this one up, so may i suggest taking yout bass to a luthier and asking him how much he'd charge to do it for you.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    IF you or someone skilled with a router do it, Stew-Mac
    has templates for J-pups.

An option to keep from addin' extra holes in the pickguard is
    to use a stacked pot, say vol/vol, and keep the single tone.
    WD and Warmoth have`em. The concern is the depth of
    the control cavity vs. the body of the stacked pot. Those
    WD ones look relatively compact, but $30 a pop?!?

4. Routing isnt really a problem, my dad's pretty skilled with a router. i just need to know about wiring, pickups, and whether or not i can move the input to the side.. i'm not sure if that would be a good idea, the stacked pot sounds like a fun idea, i'll check it out. but will i have to send wires through the body? thats the only problem i might see. its only a MIM P, so i'm not entirely worried about it. Thanks
    Chris

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Again, Stew-Mac to the rescue. They have 12" drill bits
    for wiring holes. Go in at a real low angle and aim for the
    control cavity :p.

Seymour Duncan updated their schematics page recently.
    Here's a nice P+J diagram (click the pic for larger version) --

[​IMG]

Another concern is "matching" the J pup to your current P pup.
    There could be differences in output level.

6. If you are already at it why not also add a DiMarzio Model One or Will Power Neck Model ? ;)