1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a piezo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaLoCo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Hi guys

I have a homebuilt fretless with two soapbars, and I want to add in an acoustic piezo.

Would there be a big volume difference?
    Can I put on a passive circuit, making it a VVVT circuit?

Thanks.

2. As for volume, it depends. Piezo pickups are pretty loud IME.
    Piezo requires very high input impedance, so an active circuit is a must. Of course, piezo may work passive, but with a major loss of low end response.
    A semi-passive setup is possible: connect piezo to a buffer, put a 10K volume pot and use it's wiper as the virtual ground to the pickups and volume controls (so, the piezo part becomes connected in series with the rest of circuit). Ground wiring would be a bit more advanced than usual, so it might be better to ask a technician for help.

3. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Cool...thanks for that.

4. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    Bartollini makes a nice buffer that I used for my fretless. I have the same setup, two soapbars and a Piezo bridge. The buffer has an adjustable gain and a blend pot so you can balance the two signals. There is no appreciable gain difference between my all piezo and all magnetic signal, just the tonal differences like you would want. Blending the two signals to different degrees opens up a bunch of new sounds. Slapping with a bit of piezo blended in is really cool--very percussive without losing the low end. Mwahh can we really pronounced with the piezo as well.

5. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    This is what I like....so, off to hunt bart buffer.:bassist:

6. As was mentioned, piezos have an extremely high impedance output, which you are going to have to lower with a buffer circuit if you intend to use them with magnetic pickups.