1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

adding a power supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Mar 17, 2009.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all,

i have an old mxr distortion plus and im tired of wasting batteries and changing the output setting since with less power it has less volume, i was wondering if its possible to mod the pedal to put a power supply instead of feeding it with batteries...

any ideas?

is it hard?

what do i need to know?

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You could just get a power supply / daisy chain with a 9V adapter. You won't have to mod your pedal, but if you can't get the connector inside you might want to file down a small bit of your pedal to put the wire through.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Post up a gut shot.
    It may be as easy as unsoldering the + and - (red/black) from the board and running wires to a DC jack (which you'll have to drill the enclosure and install...).
    It would take all of six minutes!

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You can get a 9v battery adapter.

Easy as pie, no mod, except for maybe a hole drilled for the wire.

5. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    WOW!!!

i just found out what people are paying for a scipt logo mxr distortion +

the hell with it! im going to sell it!!!!
    :hyper:

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    haha. well that's good. how much are they going for these days. mid 100's?

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i saw a "buy now" one in ebay for like 230 bucks... i find it way optimistic, but...hey, who knows.

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have an old Distortion +...I got a 9V battery clip and drilled a very small notch in the chassis (at the top of the pedal) where the bottom plate screws on...and I just feed that out to a PS...

Alas, I think this pedal is on it's last leg...The foam inside it is so old it's turned to dust...and the last time I opened it up, all this dusty crud fell out...The jack and POTS have become noisey as well...I think she's retired...