Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a QSC to a 300w head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i'm building my rack now and i started by buying an eden wt-300, but i think i may need more power as time passes, so i was thinking of buying a big power amp like a QSC or Crown and using the eden as a pre, with the possibility of using it only for small venues/practice and through the big amp for bigger places. is it a good idea, or should i spend the bucks in other stuff? also, should i buy 4 ohm cabs or 8 ohm to make a better use of all that power?

suggest something if you will, i'm a little lost!

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    hmm...sounds kinda like what i did. i have a peavey t-max head that runs 350 at 4 and 500 at 2 (ohms that is). i felt i needed more power and so i bought a QSC RMX 850 and i run it in bridged to power my 18" speaker with the crossover in the head. the ohmage thing all depends on what amp you get. just make sure that you dont run your amp lower than its rated (8 ohm cab + 8ohm cab = 4ohms----4 ohm cab + 4 ohm cab = 2ohms----8ohm cab + 4 ohm cab = 2.67 ohms---8ohm cab + 8ohm cab + 4 ohm cab = 2 ohms) The lower the total ohms the more watts you can get out of your amp. i dont take my power amp to practice, i just take it to big gigs, which i actually havent had a chance to use it on a big gig yet because ive been using backlines. i am at the point that i am about ready to sell the head and just buy a preamp because it would be so much easier and lighter to tote an amp and a preamp than an amp and a head. so, its gets kinda heavy with a power amp and a head. what i would suggest is selling your eden 300 and buying an eden 500 or 700 or whatever the increments are. i hope something in this ramble helped answer your questions.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds good to me.

you'll have a quality power amp ready to go, when you're ready to pull the trigger on a better preamp.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

just remember when you use a poweramp with the eden 300 you should plug the headphone out jack into the poweramp
    (i know it sounds wierd but eden says thats the way to do it - i've done it and it works)