1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding a second cab... Wiring issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman314, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    OK, I have an Ampeg SVT3-Pro. It outputs 450 watts at 4 ohms, and 250 at 8 ohms, at least according to the literature.

I currently run a single Aguilar 115 (400 watts, 8 ohms)

I'm thinking of adding either an Eden or Aguilar 210. The "matched" 210 to my 115 is 350 watts, 8 ohms.

ok so first the wiring question. My amp has dual 1/4" and a speak-on for outputs. I prefer using the speak-on. The 115 has a single speak-on, but dual 1/4".

If I run to the 115 w/ speak-on, then out the 115 to the 210 in 1/4", will I still be in Parallel, or will I have switched over to Series?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    99% sure you'd still be in parallel. I only hedge because I'm not familiar with that cab.

However, I don't think that gains anything over going Speakon to the 115, and 1/4" to the 210, both from the head .... and in that instance, I'm 100% sure you're still parallel.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* it would work well..

Except that when the Speak-on is engaged in the amp, the 1/4" are bypassed.

4. You'll be in parallel, so make sure both cabs are 8 ohms and you'll be fine.

Randy

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Ugh. Never tried two cabs with mine; good to know.

Then yeah.... what you said. Or, you could try to find a Speakon Y cable..... won't be cheap, though....

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I think AMpeg did that 'cause all Ampeg cabs have 2 speak-on jacks. so you can go amp -> cab1 -> cab2.

I prefer speak-on, especially since I'll be sending out the high-wattage... haven't ever seen a 1/4" melt... don't think I'd want to see that, either.