Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a second cab... Wiring issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman314, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    OK, I have an Ampeg SVT3-Pro. It outputs 450 watts at 4 ohms, and 250 at 8 ohms, at least according to the literature.

I currently run a single Aguilar 115 (400 watts, 8 ohms)

I'm thinking of adding either an Eden or Aguilar 210. The "matched" 210 to my 115 is 350 watts, 8 ohms.

ok so first the wiring question. My amp has dual 1/4" and a speak-on for outputs. I prefer using the speak-on. The 115 has a single speak-on, but dual 1/4".

If I run to the 115 w/ speak-on, then out the 115 to the 210 in 1/4", will I still be in Parallel, or will I have switched over to Series?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    99% sure you'd still be in parallel. I only hedge because I'm not familiar with that cab.

However, I don't think that gains anything over going Speakon to the 115, and 1/4" to the 210, both from the head .... and in that instance, I'm 100% sure you're still parallel.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* it would work well..

Except that when the Speak-on is engaged in the amp, the 1/4" are bypassed.

4. You'll be in parallel, so make sure both cabs are 8 ohms and you'll be fine.

Randy

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Ugh. Never tried two cabs with mine; good to know.

Then yeah.... what you said. Or, you could try to find a Speakon Y cable..... won't be cheap, though....

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I think AMpeg did that 'cause all Ampeg cabs have 2 speak-on jacks. so you can go amp -> cab1 -> cab2.

I prefer speak-on, especially since I'll be sending out the high-wattage... haven't ever seen a 1/4" melt... don't think I'd want to see that, either.