1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO to my Jeff Berlin Rithimic V (Please help)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by UNCLE SUSAN, Jan 15, 2017.

1. UNCLE SUSAN

UNCLE SUSAN Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Howdy ya'll. Long time reader, first time poster. So let's get to it, over the Christmas holiday, I was gifted the Jeff Berlin Rithimic V bass. Right away the setup was already really nice, action was good, had the DR DDT strings on them (Mr. Berlin says they come stock with those strings, and apparently really do). A few clockwise turns of the truss rod and it was good to go.

ANYWAY, as much as I already love the surly growl this bass has, I feel I could stand to get more out of it. This brings me to my point: the Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO. Seems easy enough, take off my old tone knob and slap this thing on, yeah?

The pickups are pretty straight forward: Volume, pickup balance, tone. (See attached photos) 20170115_223257. 20170115_223624.

I've not bought the circuit yet, but have seen other threads' schematics submitted by others and think that it may work to give me just a little bit more in the tone department.

Thoughts? Precautions?

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Technically speaking,it might work. ;)
    Just make sure that the bass' cavity is deep enough to install the SD without further routing.Just looked at the SD site and I don't see any mention of physical dimensions of the preamp,maybe someone who has it already could chime in?
    Another thing,you might be forced to shorten/optimize the actual wiring because of the 9V battery.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The Black Outs 2 band preamp is very nice especially for the money. IMO it has a Music Man character to it.

jallenbass and FingerDub like this.
  4. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah, I've not seen a diagram for the circuit either but assume I shouldn't have much of a problem. From what I gather, as long as I have as much cavity height as a P or J bass, I'm golden. As much as I dislike routing, if it comes down to it, I will. That may be the easiest way to fit the 9volt in...well, that and optimize the wiring.

5. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    My initial attraction to this particular circuit was the price. Also, since it was stacked I wouldn't have to drill a new hole on an already incredibly cramped space.

By any chance would wiring this in differ from wiring in any other tone knob? I ask because of the pickups selector in the middle.

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    This should work provided you have room for the battery, pot and board. It looks a little cramped in there, but the pot/board should fit.

7. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    I will more than likely have to take the slack out of the other wires for extra room which shouldn't be a big deal.

My concern is how I will wire it in (or have a professional wire it, rather ) with the pickup blend knob. Just pop out my original tone knob and wire this the same way?

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Its not wired like a tone pot at all, but its not at all complicated. You will have to change your output jack to a TRS (stereo) jack, and wire the battery like you would with any other preamp. Other than that, the signal wiring is just two wires. The green wire is you signal out, and connected to the tip, the red goes to battery positive, black goes to the sleeve, battery negative goes to the ring.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Ordered the circuit, should be here by Friday. Let's see how this goes.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Update: Wired this in today after work and it sounds IMMENSE. GAve me just the umph* I needed.

Thanks to all who contributed

4StringTheorist likes this.
  11. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Happy this worked out well!

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Late to the party, but glad it worked. I have that same circuit in my Bass VI. I really like it.

13. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Super growly and snarly. The midswitch is insane. I had to turn my mids down on my amp almost all the way.

bigtone23 likes this.
  14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I actually posted a separate question about this preamp just yesterday. I'm looking to put it into my Jazz and wondered is anyone has ever used it. How are the two different treble frequencies? (Switch on the pcb)
    SD has a diagram on their site showing Installation in a Jazz:

JazzBass_STCBO.pdf

15. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Turned off, the circuit is more or less just a treble/bass knob on any active eq IMO. Turned on, it's super mid-y and musicmanesque. So, really the switch is a mids frequency booster.

16. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The 2-way switch puts the center frequency of the treble around 3K or 6K. I use the 3K setting since I don't boost, just cut. Cutting at 3K is roughly like cutting a tone control-boosting it sounds like the classic MusicMan G&L L-2000 type of bright sound. The 6K setting is more sizzly and modern sounding, good for cabs with horns.

17. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Ok guys,the treble is switchable between 3,5kHz and 6kHz (these are the exact values) via the small switch found on the PCB
    ....but,what about the low freq?Where is is centered? (peak or shelf?)
    I found absolutely nothing about this,no mention whatsoever.
    I asked the same question on SD forum wich seems to be sloooow (or almost dead).
    Any info?

18. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I don't have empirical data, but evidence based on my hearing. The bass sounds like a shelf with a knee well under 100Hz-probably closer to 50Hz.
    Like mentioned earlier, I only use the EQ to cut, and cutting the bass all they way sounds nearly identical to engaging the strangle switch on the Bass VI. So much so I removed the strangle cap and rewired the switch to do parallel/series with the pickups.

19. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    The STC-2c-BO low frequency is centered at 30hz. It certainly isn't peak, but it isn't quite a shelf, either. It doesn't get the boom or mud like most shelving EQs do.
    As far as the Duncan forum goes, it is pretty full of guitarists...so bass questions are a little obtuse for our little brains. :)

Le Basseur and bigtone23 like this.