Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a string tree/guide

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 2, 2002.

1. If I had a Fender 5 string without a string tree on the low strings, but wanted one to tighten everything up, could I add one? Or would the increased angle of the strings break the nut or something? The newer MIA Deluxe 5's have guides on all 5 strings, but some of the older ones don't. Thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The increased downforce on the nut shouldn't hurt it.

I would probably remove the existing tree and put one of those bars on that runs accross all the strings.

Chas

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Bringin' back an OLDIE!!!!

[​IMG]

Here's the deal: My Atelier Z is a slammin' bass. However, like the original poster all those years back, I could really use a bit of a stiffer feel to the strings.

[​IMG]

I need to know from all you experts what I'd need to do as far as measurements, type of tree, etc... etc... etc...

Thanks! :bassist:

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi gruuv,

As long as you install the new string tree(s) in a place where they won't interfere with anything else (like access to the truss rod) and aren't right up against the nut or tuners, you should be fine. Keep in mind that the closer you put the trees to the nut, the steeper the angle and the more downward pressure the string will experience at the nut.

However, from the picture of your bass, it seems that it might be a little risky and/or not improve the situation by putting a string tree on the low B

I'm also not 100% sure that the added trees will increase the stiffness of the strings, but they should at least improve the bass' sustain.

Alternatively, you can put one or two extra wraps on the strings without trees to make sure that they come off the lowest part of the tuner's post, thus increasing the downward pressure on the strings at the nut.

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    That's very helpful, thanks! I know there's lot's of measurements for the scale, pickup placement, etc... wasn't sure if it is the same for the tree. I see what you mean about the B string. . .

6. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yeah, as far as I know, there is no standard for placing a string tree.

Though I understand where you're coming from. When I first started building and repairing instruments I was sure that everything had a "right" place or measurement. Of course, a lot of parts do, but not all.

Glad I could help gruuv, have a good one!