Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a string tree?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Would it be wise to add a string tree to a Fender 5 string?

Could it totally ruin the bass? I know it would ruin the headstock.

I have a MIA Deluxe Jazz 5 with a wimpy B string -- all the other strings are very punchy though..

Anyone tried this before?

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Fender puts string trees on some of their 5-strings so I don't see the harm. It won't ruin the bass at all if it's installed right. Sure there might be tiny screw holes, but I'm guessing you'd want to keep the string trees on anyway. It seems like all Fender Deluxe 5s have string trees anyway, maybe try a different bridge or heavier strings.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's at a medium gauge (125 B)
    Thing is I have a '97 Deluxe so it's inline 5, not 4+1.

Thanks

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It seems on the inline 5 basses that there isn't even room for a string tree though.

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
  6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nice work on the tree.

Anyone else have experience with this?

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh and where did you get the string tree from?

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    I got the tree from a friend of mine that has a shop. You can buy it from warmoth, allparts, and others (probably also guitar center or samash).
    BTW, the bass is no more in my hands, I sold it to a guy here on TB. He fixed/filled the holes from the original tree on the headstock. I don't know if he still own it.
    Take care

Mo'

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Maurilio.

I think I will do this -- seems like it will really work.
    How much is the improvement on the B string? I'm just really curious because at the current moment it's really slack, just nothing on it.

I guess it also depends on how far in you screw the string retainer, to get a different degree of tautness.

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    IME, It would give a little improvement. If you screw down too much the tree it would stuck the strings, they would not slide in the nut, getting difficult to tune up and down (if you know what I mean!?).
    I've found that searching for the right B it would help more. For me 130 tapered. You should try the Sadowsky's.

Mo'

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ... but the new Fenders have a string tree just like the pictures you took and they are supposed to have a much better B string. And their string retainers are in the same position. Maybe I'm not REALLY looking but am I wrong?

12. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Not exactly, on the new fenders the B post is moved a little further away from the nut since the G post is in the other side, so the angle creatd by the tree on the string is not that steep. (hope I make sense).
    I think you should go with the mod, but still, I think a tapered bigger B string would be better.

M

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Bringing this back to life.

I'll go with both - tapered B string & string tree :)
    Thanks for the confidence that it'll work. I know that it'll be better than nothing, that is for sure.

14. Do you havve pics of the string tree added? I was in a shop today and played a newer 5 and it sounded so much better then my wimpy B string, where I dont play below the D, because it just sounds like mud. I also have a '97 MIA Deluxe V. Thank you for any help.

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Long sold. Sorry! Can't really help you, but I highly recommend putting a tree on.

16. Yeah, after I saw the date of the thread, I thought hey i might as well give it a chance rather than starting a new thread.
    So after you put on the new tree did it help the B get tighter? also did you put a tree over just the B or the B and E? Thanks again!

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I didn't put the tree on. I put some Sadowsky strings on and it helped, but sold the bass before I had a chance to do the tree.

I personally would purchase a tree for the E and B first, then see if it worked or not. The other strings are fine, it's the E and B that need help.

18. what is a string tree?

19. It is the little thing that holds down the strings after the nut. On a four string Fender P or Jazz bass, they are only on the D and G strings.

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It helps increase tension and stability at the nut as well.