Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a third pickup to improve the sound.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheesepuff921, Sep 22, 2000.

1. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    Thanks for reading this. I have a Peavey Milestone 2 bass. the sound is alright but to me it does not sound like the bass's that the people at my curch and on tv hae. I am thinking about buying new pickups. I also have a new set of strings i am gonna ut on when the old ones die. But for now what can i do to make it sound better. And can soeone give me some ideas on new pickups. I have a bass with 2 side by side pickups. Could i add a third one?
    Thanx

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello cheese and welcome to the board.

I think the Milestone is a Alder body Maple neck type instrument with passive electronics. This normally means a tone knob that adds mud to your sound. If you are comparing it to modern active basses then it wont sound the same.
    Peavey make good budget instruments. I dont think changing the pickups will be worth the expense. Adding a third pickup will change the sound but devalue it as well. You dont mention your amp. If you play your bass into a good amp with the controls full on it should be fine.

You need to clarify what you mean. Try to find out what type of instrument you want to sound like.

Also on a discussion board no-one is right or wrong as a lot of things are taste. So listen to all the advice then try for yourself and make your mind up.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Welcome to TalkBass, Cheesepuff.

If you can let us know a little more about the tone you want, then there are a lot of people here, who can steer you in the right direction.
    For now...I would go ahead and change the strings. You might be pleasantly surprised at what a new set can do for your bass. :)

4. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    I have a small 15b amp. What abot a new wire i have a radio shcak one and ist sucks. Also what upgrades could i add to my bass to make it sound better with ut spending to much money

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    First as Deynn said change the strings. I change mine evry three months and people call me stingy for it. If your strings are over 6 months old they are going to be dead and unless you are into dub are unusable.I use english brand strings like Elites and Rotosound. Try posting for some string recommendations ref bang for buck.

Lead-Maybe change the strings first.

Amp set the tone controls on flat, volume halfway. Turn all of your instrument controls on full and play. If it sounds thin turn up the bass and if it sounds muddy add treble. But thats it.

Bass If you want a tighter sound play near the bridge, if you want a fuller or less distinct sound play nearly on the fingerboard. Now move your playing hand between those points and stop where it sounds good. If you know all this fine, I am not trying to be condesending.

Try that lot all it costs is some strings and maybe a lead.