Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding a thumbrest??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nerf, Jun 28, 2004.

1. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    I have an old Aria pro II TSB 350 lefty.(ok, stop laughing, for $67.00 at a pawn shop, I think I did OK...) Anyways, 1 arched Soapbar pickup 4 1/8" from the bottom of the neck. Basically a well disguised P-bass copy. I play fingerstyle, resting my thumb on the pickup. While fiddling around with it, I started fingering closer to the neck, and it seemed I got a richer sound than at the pickup. Less cutting, but fuller. Might work well with some slower rock songs we do. My imagination? Also the tension was less there, being further from the bridge. (I have no prob with the tension at the bridge, just an observation).
    So, I was thinking of installing a thumbrest between the pickup and the neck. Any pro's or con's to this? Anybody else do this? I'm not terribly concerned about "devaluing" the bass,(well, maybe a little concerned), I mean, it is what it is, and I'll probably won't be reselling it (sentimental value), I'm wondering if what I'm hearing is true, or is it just the urge to tweak something that doesn't need tweaking?? :confused:

Thanks in advance

2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Yeah you get a different tone. I installed one on my essex.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I say go for it. I used to play 100% of the time over the pickup. I am now playing more and more between the pickup and the neck for the rounder, fuller tone. Plus, for those of use with amps that only go to 10, you can go back over the pickup and get an immediate OMMFFFF for emphasis!

4. I'd say go for it too. Just take some time to get the feel of just where you want it before drilling holes.

Actually, I almost wish I could mod a less expensive bass to add a "sliding" thumbrest. One that could be repositioned and tightened down.. just a thought..

Mag...

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I put a removeable thumb rest on my expensive bass.

Already gave the details in this thread.

6. Why not just add a long one so you could rest your thumb anywhere without adjusting it?

7. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Yeah, I'm gonna do it. That's what I've been doing lately, getting a feel of where to put it. I've only been playing a couple of years now, and I know I'm gonna stick with it. Getting to be about all I want to do nowadays. Wish I woulda started earlier in life. I also know that in a year or so I'm gonna upgrade so if I'm gonna hack into something, it better be now.

That in turn brings up another issue with me....the left-handed market...or lack there-of :mad: :spit: .....

...MAYBE I DON'T WANT A BLACK MIM LH JAZZ BASS!
    GUITAR CENTER, SAM ASH, ARE YOU LISTENING???!!!

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That's up to you.

I'm completely left handed in everything since day one.
    Learned Bass right handed.

Now I wonder how righties can fret and burn up the board with their weak uncoordinated hand.

9. Prfsr Ltd Swr

Prfsr Ltd Swr

Jun 30, 2004
    aria makes some nice guitars/ basses you just have to find em

10. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here's a pic of a thumbrest I made from an ebony baby-grand piano key:

http://usera.imagecave.com/fresnorich/Stingrelicproject/131-3154_IMG.JPG

I cut it in half lengthwise, so that it's the same height as the single-coil pickup on my Sting signature bass. It's nicely tapered and rounded off on the end and feels much better than the cheap plastic Fender thumbrest I tried first. I found the Fender thumbrest to be WAY to high. Shouldn't a thumbrest always be about the same height as the pickup?

I also like that it's longer than the standard and it doesn't make a cheap, hollow plastic sounding "click" when I tap it with my finger. Finally, it's evenly spaced from the strings, so it's kind of like resting your thumb on the B string of a 5 string bass. I'm very happy with the results and I no longer have to worry about messing up the pickup by using it as a thumbrest.