adding a tweeter and crossover to an old eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Jul 12, 2004.

1. i have an old eden D115 without a horn. i used to use it with a 410 cab but got tired of carrying it to gigs and bought an avatar cb115 to save my back. However, i don't have the heart to sell a vintage eden cab now that they are owned by usmusic. I really like the low end on the cab, but without a 410 and a horn it kind of lacks definition in the highs (especially when slapping).

My question is.... how difficult would it be to buy an eden crossover and horn and install them into the cab? is it worth the hassle or should i just buy a piezo tweeter and install that?

thanks in advance.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've found eden to be very helpful when making upgrades to cabinets - they walked me through installing casters and a grill on an old swr goliath made by eden
    the thing to do is call them and ask
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I know that eden sell the horn and crossover as seperate components. I have no idea how much they are though, and their on-line store seems to be under re-construction.

It shouldn't be too difficult. and the Eden horn sounds better than a piezo. I know because I use both. Piezo's have their place, and a vintage Eden cab isn't one of them.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    where do you like to use piezo's, pete? I have wondered what a good application for these are, ans I have never heard of any fans of them besides me.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    To be honest, I use them as often as possible, mainly due to price considerations. I always start with piezo's and decide from there. Sometimes the Piezo works well enough for that application, other times I go the extra mile and get a compression driver instead.

The Piezo's worked fine in the little vocal PA speakers I made. It also worked well enough in a 2x10 I made to help my bass cut through. However if didn't work on a Bass wedge I made which was basically a reverse engineered Eden 2x10. I used a horn driver from P.Audio on that one.
  6. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I did exactly that about 7 or 8 years ago. Back then, it cost me something like $100-$120 for the tweeter and crossover panel. I got an extra tweeter diaphragm while I was at it. Biggest trick was the hole. I used a 1"hole saw to start...then I just used a handsaw to open the hole enough. Unless you pulled the tweeter, you'd never know. Cab works great! A little heavier in the mids than I like compared to my other cabs... but still works great!
  7. I changed the piezo in a SWR Workingmans 212 to an Eden horn and crossover a couple years ago.The tweeter was about $70 and the crossover was $45,not bad at all for the quality.The crossover doesn't come pre wired,you'll need to get a wiring diagram from Eden when you order.You'll need some push on Sta-con connectors and short pieces of speaker wire to wire it up or just solder.When I did mine I had my 210 XLT to copy from so the diagram from Eden is a must.