Adding a tweeter to a Peavey 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pbassred, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Has anyone here ever added a (good) piezo to a cab?

I play through an old Peavy 130. It has a single 15" driver . I've played it for years like that and loads of people say it sounds ok. I'm using My precision Less and my active Yamaha more. So it might benefit from more top.
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Nope, but I've added tweeters to other cabinets before. I used the LeSon Tweeter that SWR uses in thier old workingmans series cabinets. It only required a simple cross over that easily made from scratch, although you need a volume control on it because its a loud little sucker.

If you have room you might consider a Foster or P-audio tweeter as well.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not a difficult mod. Piezo's don't need a crossover and are cheap. They may not sound as good as other types of horns, but for someone that's never had a horn before, it shouldn't be an issue. You'll welcome the extra top end and should be happy enough with it.
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I did so to my Peavey TKO 80 combo. I added a Motorola Superhorn (piezo and cheap) with a 2.2uf cap (cuts around 6/7 KHz) and it absolutely rocks!

5. ..........except that I can't find anywhere in the UK that sells the motorola. ( KSN1005A )