Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding abass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AGF, Mar 10, 2005.

1. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    I was thinking about adding a Bass to my stable of guitars ( actually I only have 2) are there any inexpensive models out there (4 string) you guys would recommend to try out?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Be less vague. What type of tone? What are you looking for? What are your current basses lacking in?

3. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India

In simple language, I have 2 bass guitars, I'm gonna buy another but good one,are there any inexpensive models ???

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  5. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    thanx for the link, however, I could not find what I was expected.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, what did you expect?

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Sorry to be blunt, but you need to tell us what you are looking for. All you've said is that you want an inexpensive 4 string bass. The SX basses are well regarded for the price. If you want any more specific information, you'll have to give us more details on what you want.

8. i would say get a Ibanez GSR series, a four string is around $200, had mine for 3 years and still sounds great.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Even after asking you to provide more info you havent. Please, help us help you.

10. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India

Ok I will try this.....BTW, thanx...

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Rondo makes a decent, cheap bass in clones. Also very nice to deal with and responsive to emails.

12. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India

Hey, this is not available in india, do you have any link where I can buy online...

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  14. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I'll dive in with some ideas...
    In all cases, if you can find one used, it's good...

Peavey's of various stripes...not the cheapest Milleniums, but...
    Musicman SUBs or OLP stingrays
    G&L Tribute or used G&L L2000

15. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    hey thanx for the link...

16. So which two do you already have?

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    As far as inexpensive basses go, there are many. And what's more is that inexpensive basses available to today's crop of bassists are worlds better than the basses I started out with 10 years ago.

It's not that easy for us to help you narrow the search since you never really gave us a lot of details. We're not mind-readers. We need some input from you so we can help steer you in the right direction.

What price range you're looking at for a bass? To some people, a bass costing US$300 is considered inexpensive but to others a US$1000 bass is considered inexpensive.

What style of music do you like to play? Some basses may be better suited to certain styles of music than others.

Aesthetically, are you looking for a more traditional Fender-style bass, or are you looking for something that looks a tad more modern (such as a Yamaha RBX)?

What other basses do you own and what are you not getting out of them that you wish to add another bass to your collection? Are the basses you have too heavy and you want something lighter weight for gigs? Do you want a bass with a beefier tone for studio work? Are you getting into the slap-pop style and want a bass more suited to that than the basses you currently have?

What kind of amp are you playing through? Many times an amp can have as much effect on your tone as your bass. My bass sounds different through my 300 watt Ashdown combo than through my little 10 watt Crate practice amp. The more powerful amp allows my bass to 'speak' more.

But in addition to what others have mentioned, I'd try a Yamaha RBX170. Yamaha's starter basses are very good quality. I wish I had started on a Yamaha over an Ibanez. I prefer the feel of Yamaha necks over Ibanez necks too.

18. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India

It just written like Gibson square ,,,