1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding active EMGs to passive Spector bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stevevisits, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Stevevisits

Stevevisits Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Ok I have a question for anyone that can give me advice. I bought a Spector all passive bass. It's a limited edition really awesome looking bass. I bought active pickups for it but it has a passive preamp. Can I put active pickups in it with the passive preamp? Or should I upgrade both? I was looking for a tonepump like my other Spector has but can't find any. Most people say go with the emg active preamp. It came with the Geezer Butler passive EMGs but not really liking the sound. Any advice would be great on adding the active pickups.

Attached Files:

NigelD likes this.
  2. There's an easy way to find out, plug it all together & try it.

Stevevisits likes this.
  3. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Lol probably going to try it...If it don't work I know I need an active preamp

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would use the 25k volume and tone pots, input jack, and any other wiring accessories that might be necessary, that are included with EMG active pickups. Just follow the instructions.

Stevevisits likes this.
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    There's no preamp there. Just the pots being used with the passive pups.
    Active EMG's have an internal pre built in. Other than switching to 25K volume and/or blend pots and switching to a stereo jack (for battery on/off) and wiring up the battery to the new active pups, no separate preamp is required.
    Yes, many EMG active users still use a separate pre, but it's not needed.
    Active EMGs can be wired for 9, 18 or even 27 volts (1, 2 or 3 - 9 volt batteries in series) for additional headroom.

Stevevisits likes this.
  6. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Thanks guys...I opened the package and saw it came with the pots and input jack. I thought the pickups were just the pickups but this seems pretty easy to install. One other question I have is I have 4 knobs on my Spector but this kit only comes with 3 any ideas how to make the fourth pot work or just leave it as a blank?

7. Install a bass cut knob, but I'm not sure what value you'd use for the pot.
    With passive pickups a 1 MegOhm reverse audio taper is used, but I've no idea what you'd use for active pickups.
    As a guess I'd say if the pots that came with it are 25K Ohm, then find a 100K Ohm reverse audio taper pot.

You can find the value of the pots by measuring Ohms between terminals 1 & 3.

Here's how G&L does their bass cut knob:

strat_PTB.

Mouser has 100K Ohm reverse audio taper pots, but you'd have to look at the datasheet to determine if it will fit:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...GAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU%2bXO0/ntrrgILytgYy3Rd6k=

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Stevevisits likes this.
  8. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Awesome thanks for all that info...I was googling and looking but nothing nothing that descriptive I could find. Thank you

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I have extra EMG pots if you need.
    PM me.

Stevevisits likes this.
  10. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Hey I'm waiting to hear back on a tone pump system...if not what kind of pots do you have definitely will need one or two

11. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    EMG 25k quik connect and solder type.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would go with the EMG BQC preamp in it. The mid control in the BQC is extremely cool.

Stevevisits and NigelD like this.
  13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Can't disagree.
    I never thought I needed a mid control. Then a used Spector I bought came with a BQC system.
    Now all my Spectors sport the BQC system. And I use the Mid control much more than I care to admit......

Stevevisits and JimmyM like this.
  14. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Been hearing alot of good things about the BQC system...you guys use the BTC before?

15. Any of the EMG tone control networks are plug and play (BTS, BQC, etc.) and designed for your pickups, and they're my-t-fine. BTW . . . . . . don't forget you're gonna need room for at least one 9v battery in the cavity if you don't have it drilled for a battery box.

Stevevisits likes this.
  16. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Thanks appreciate the advice...I did purchase the battery box off stew Mac and template for the router because it's alot easier then taking the covers off all the time lol any real difference sound wise from either BQC and BTC?

17. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Sorry meant BTS not BTC

18. Here you are:

EMG Pickups / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

As you're replacing 'all four knobs', in the first section ( . . . for active pickups), you want the 'system' setup, as it's the volume fader, EQ's, all there.

Personally I'm no fan of mids onboard the axe, so for me the BTS system is my default (vol, fader, bass+/-, treble +/-), but most guys swear by the three band control networks. It's up to you.

Stevevisits likes this.
  19. Stevevisits

Dec 23, 2017
    Hey I totally agree...I actually prefer that setup you run it is easy I don't need the mid and definitely no need for the stacked pots. I appreciate your input BTS it is!

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No. I had (trim pot) Tone Pumps in all of them previously.

Stevevisits likes this.