Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding Aguilar OBP-1 to passive pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nino Valenti, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hi everyone. I posted this thread a few months ago in the Misc Forum & I'm still no closer to a comclusion then when I started.

ORIGINAL POST
    I need help w/my OBP-1. I emailed Aguilar about it & I'm gonna ask you guys also. If any of you guys could help, I'd be VERY GRATEFUL!!!!!!

END OF ORIGINAL POST

You could see the entire thread by CLICKING HERE

Update: I've got in touch w/PJ @ Aguilar & he got me in touch w/manager (forgot his name) & he told me that they had no problem w/other companies (Lull, Lakland, etc) adding the OBP-1 w/passive pickups.

I've changed the pickups in the Wamoth Jazz from Sadowsky humcanceling to EMG's & I've put the Sadowsky pickups in the Essex & left it passive. I've also Built a Warmoth Gecko bass & used the OBP-1 w/Seymour Duncan ASB2-5 active pickups w/no problems.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Do these instruments have a bridge ground?

Did you actually ground the cavity shield? Some jacks and wiring harnesses will ground themselves if there is good electrical contact between the components, the shield, and the sleeve/ground part of the jack. This might not be true if you are using a flushmount barrel jack.

EMG pickups are generally very easy to keep clean because they are low impedance and internally shielded. Passive pickups sometimes require a little more work, and intruducing a new set of electronics may defeat whatever was in place.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

4. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    By this he means that you need to make sure the contol cavity shielding is electrically connected to all other grounds: the ground side of the electronics, the bridge ground wire, and the shield wire of the pickups.
    (a tip: if the shielding you used doesn't have conductive adhesive layer, you also need to make sure the diferent pieces of foil used are electrically connected to each other . check with an inexpensive VOM (Volt-Ohm meter). if not, solder them together.
    I've used the OBP-1 many times with passive pickups, from generics to BArts, without the problem you've noted.
    Dave P.