Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding an 18V to a 9V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigBohn, Oct 21, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    How would I upgrade my current stock ESP LTD C-305 bass to an 18V onboard preamp? I seem to be getting to little volume out of the guitar and having to raise it in the amp, which in turn produces lots of siss and distortion. Suggest a new onboard preamp and maybe some pickups to go with them (active or passive)? Thanks in advance

2. To go 18v, you just need enough space in the control cavity and to attach another battery clip.

For a replacement preamp, that's kind of debatable I guess, but I like the Bartolinis.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If the problem is "disappearing" volume, that is, it seems to have decreased over time, try a good fresh battery. The no-name and discount batteries just don't perform as well.

Otherwise, you might consider a little goodie I've been considering - a Fishman Voltage Doubler..."for active bass systems." From the description, you still use just one 9V but you get an 18V circuit. It can harm some systems, so getting it blessed by a tech first is what I plan to do.

The Fishman site has the most info I've seen on it. It looks like just a couple wires and a battery harness.

www.stewmac.com sells them for $18.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    ok, thank you funkycarnivore, and ill check out that thing rick. BTW, i just put in a fresh Panasonic disposable battery. I compared it in volume to this piezo pickup bass guitar (a Paul Reed Smith to be exact), and its volume was much more tolerable and higher than when I plugged mine into the same amp.