1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Adding an active/passive switch to a Bartolini TC3 Jazz Bass Specific Harness?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimBosby, Aug 10, 2012.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So, my '78 Jazz has a battery box route, that for some stupid reason I don't want to leave empty. I had an Audere in it, then an East J-Retro, and then (and currently) another Audere. I love both those preamps, but I kinda want just a traditional Jazz bass setup without the EQ. I want to hear the pickups as they were originally intended to sound. Problem is, I'm used to loud, HOT pickups and these vintage 78 J pickups are just a lot quieter than what I am used to. I don't want to swap them out because they're the original pickups (I think.) So here's a perfect solution:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-tc3-bass-harness.htm

It's Bartolini's TC3 booster, which basically just gives the boost of a preamp without the EQ. It's already wired to a Jazz plate, which is great. Minus one thing I want - an on/off active/passive kill switch in case the battery runs low. I imagine adding one of these would be fairly simple. Anyone tried it? I'm wondering if I could drill a little hole in the plate and add a switch? Or better yet, change one of the pots (probably the tone pot) to a push-pull and then set it up so that it disengages the preamp when you pull up on the pot.

Anyone tried this? I assume it would be relatively easy? I'd probably have a local tech do it since I am technically inept.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    -Tim

:bassist:

2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Anyone?