1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding an Active/Passive Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff Meyer-Lorentson, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jeff Meyer-Lorentson

Jeff Meyer-Lorentson

Feb 4, 2016
    I play a Carvin B40 with active electronics and H50A pickups (good for active or passive per their website). I recently replaced the controls with their unit with passive master volume and blend feeding into an active pre-amp with sweepable mid and high/low controls. Sadly, in this conversion I lost the built in active/passive switch I had before. I've been working on an idea to add one to this circuit using a DPDT or 3PDT switch. The switch would toggle the hot signal from the volume pot between the active pre-amp and the output jack, and it would break the battery power circuit the same way the switching jack does when switched to passive. I would use the 3rd pole to break the active preamp output to the jack when in passive mode to keep everything isolated. I made some rough wiring diagrams to try to show what I'm thinking.

Current Wiring:
    Zzia04I.

My idea:
    dmnrw1H.
    The last thing I've thought about is using an On-Off-On switch to give myself a mute function as well. Has anybody ever tried anything like this or know enough for it to raise any red flags? Is the 3PDT necessary?

Slightly related, anybody have opinions one way or the other on molex connectors for pickup wiring?

Thanks in advance.

2. This is the standard method of wiring an active/passive switch.
    4065969204_e9e0cb5e54_o.

3. Jeff Meyer-Lorentson

Jeff Meyer-Lorentson

Feb 4, 2016
    Well that's easy... Thanks a bunch!