Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adding an attenuator for a tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have the Ernie Ball MusicMan HD210 cab, as well as the 212. The 210 has a tweeter in it, but no attenuator/volume control for it. I have heard some say a tweeter can sound too harsh or shrill at certain times, and at times is better being turned off or lowered.

Is it possible to add an attenuator to it without making any huge modifications, without having any in depth knowledge of electronics? Is it as simple as just cutting the power wire and putting in the attenuator, and reconnecting it, then mounting the control pot onto the back control plate?

Is it possible to either do it by myself or have a tech do it? Is it worth it? Or should I just leave it as is?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not a hard mod but I'm not going to tell you how to do it until you've tried the tweeter out for yourself in it's original condition. For every person who hates tweeters, there's another one who LOVES em. You need to work out which one you are.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree, I'm not going to do anything yet. I am just wondering if it is possible if infact I do want to do it.